We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

I am going to start a new thread for July news media and new websites that are popping up regarding lodging.

On June 2 a TAdvisor in Anaheim posted on another thread, this article from that days Austin American Statesman:

statesman.com/blogs/…

Today I found www.AustinRaceHotels.com website

and they also have a cool Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ARHotels

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

I just did a quick search of small towns "down the road a piece" and considering closer in is $500, this isn't a bad drive. Think of it as sightseeing on your visit to Texas!

Brand new Best Western in Giddings is $250

Ramada in Giddings is $329

Choice Hotel in Brenham $84

Choice Hotel in Columbus is $71

Edited: 4:14 pm, July 05, 2012
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

The City of Austin now has a website re: F1

austintexas.gov/department/austin-grand-prix

(Tks Mr. Ted for info)

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

Austin City Mayor and Police Chief gave this report to the news media today, July 11, regarding their trip to London to see an F1 race.

AUSTIN (KXAN) - The police chief is back in Austin after a five-day trip to England.

He and four other city officials, including Mayor Lee Leffingwell and City Manager Marc Ott, flew to London to see the logistics of a Formula One race first-hand.

The fact-finding mission comes four months before Austin's first F1 race at the new Circuit of The America's track being constructed east of the city.

When Chief Art Acevedo stepped off the plane Tuesday, it was no mystery what he had been up to. He has been Tweeting online like crazy since he left Austin -- snapping pictures of everything from his food to the local officials he met.

The chief also shared a video he shot from the stands while watching his first F1 race.

"I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did," said Acevedo. "It was kind of a first for me, but I really felt that -- in the spirit of transparency -- it was really important for us to let you know what we were up to."

The chief was reassured that local preparations for more than 300,000 race fans are on the right track.

"I'm very confident that what we've been planning -- in terms of our shuttle operations, our parking operations, our security operations -- are right on point," said Acevedo.

The group saw bumper-to-bumper traffic for miles as fans tried to get to the track. Shuttles and cars were sharing the same road and drop-off points. In Austin, the two will be separated.

Acevedo said the amount of air traffic was also eye-opening. Helicopters were a popular form of transportation to the track.

"Helicopter after helicopter after helicopter, nonstop," said Acevedo. "It just reminded me of the movie 'Apocalypse Now.' If you remember when they go into the field and land, the troops would get off and then take off again. That's exactly what it was."

The group got to see the problems unexpected weather can cause. Record rainfall created a muddy mess in dirt parking lots around the track, and more than 20,000 fans had to be turned away Sunday.

The medical center on site handled 300- to 400 calls during the race weekend. Austin will have the same set-up that will be able to handle everything from scrapes to burns to life-threatening injuries.

When it comes to police numbers, Acevedo said his department will use the same plan set in motion during South By Southwest. Officers will work 12 hours on,12 hours off.

"I'd rather overstaff and be overprepared than understaffed and be overwhelmed," said Acevedo.

The chief is confident Austin can pull off an event that is not just as good, rather better than anyone else.

"To ensure that while the eyes of the world are on the city of Austin, that the people of Austin put on a show that we can be proud of," said Acevedo.

Edited: 12:08 am, July 12, 2012
4. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:10 am, July 12, 2012
5. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, July 12, 2012
Austin, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

You should check out www.straustin.com They have several houses and condos for short term rentals.

Edited: 4:27 pm, October 03, 2012
Austin
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

Its coming so fast... The race will be on Nov. 18 and I'm so excited.

Love to watch the race.... but I can't watch :(

8. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, October 22, 2012
9. Re: Formula 1 Race Lodging Update for July 2012 Info ! ! !

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 07, 2013