We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

austin districts

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
austin districts

hey guys,

i'm thinking about moving to austin and was wondering if someone could briefly describe the different areas of austin (central, nw, etc) in terms of character, accessibility to night life, proximity to brackenridge hospital...thanks!

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: austin districts

This is tough. I don't know if Austin is as distinct as NYC, but I'll give it a shot. I'm sure others will chime in, and someone will have to help me out up north, since I've lived all the years of my Austin residency south of the river--except for a sixth-month stint in Clarksville.

Speaking of one of my favorite neighborhoods, Clarksville (central Austin): a funky blend of students and the upper class. The area is just west of downtown and within walking to some good food and music. The homes ranch from condemned shacks to new construction.

Tarrytown (central Austin, west of Clarksville): a holdout for Austin's old money, it's being taken over by the new money. Still home to some students, Lion's Club golf course, and Deep Eddy (praise be!).

Travis Heights, 78704 (the first south encountered in South Austin): imagine a neighborhood that used to be the home of poor students, hookers, Vietnam vets, and Green Peace proponents. Then toss in a bunch of out-of-state trendy investors, and you've got yourself a shabby chic dream. Good eats, a few music venues, and a quick ride to downtown.

Southwest Austin (the burbs within the city limits): lots of neighbors from California, seems like every third husband works in the tech industry. Less strip-mall inundated than north Austin, Pflugerville, and Round Rock, but more people are catching on to the gateway to the Hill Country over here, and the building is picking up. Big on families--neighborhood events, soccer games, school plays, that kind of thing. A few "Austin's own" restaurants are here, and it's a quick drive to dowtown.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: austin districts

also: Hyde Park - older homes with expensive price tags north of 24th, south of 51st between I-35 and Lamar. there's a lot of character here if you can afford it.

there are some cool places to live downtown...like on 5th street or south of MLK and west of Guadalupe (ok. that's Clarksville).

i lived all over Austin and really liked Hyde Park because it was close to everything, but the rent was way too much. i also liked living in south Austin near Manchaca and Ben White (aka 290/71). the rent is a lot less and you can live in a groovy older house with big trees...plus, it's easy to get to downtown and beyond if you know the back streets. ; - )

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: austin districts

Gotta second Hyde Park. Very groovy place.

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: austin districts

i am a young professional moving to austin and want to live near restaurants, cafes, etc but also would like to avoid the college scene. i'm sort of limited in how much i can spend on rent, probably less than a grand a month. where would be a good place for me to live?

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: austin districts

North campus is more of a college scene. As you move north into Hyde Park, it becomes more mixed. I'd definitely consider Hyde Park. You can get an efficiency and possibly a one bedroom for less than $1K/month. It's been a long time since I've been in a rental, so I can't speak expertly on rates.

Clarksville and Tarrytown also have some nice options for grad students. Most of those neighborhoods aren't students, so they're quieter and less prone to the partying crowd.

Travis Heights is also nice, but you wouldn't have UT shuttles. I don't think. Something tell me if I'm wrong.

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: austin districts

Sorry, I misread your post and thought you were a grad student. Doh!

All of the places I mentioned would probably work for you, if you like funky areas. Tarrytown is a lot less funky and more "young professional." There are families living there and older folks, but plenty of young people like the area. Another good area is the Northwest Hills area. I've had several friends live during and after college and before marriage. It seemed to work really well for them. Perhaps someone on the list could elaborate on that area.

Paso Robles Wine...
Level Contributor
961 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: austin districts

I think a young professional wanting the restaurant scene but not the college scene should check out the Rosedale area. Try to stay west of Lamar and anywhere from Hancock to the north to downtown on the south. I really like the area near 38th Street. Not sure about price of rentals but I'm sure they vary a lot. There are nice apartments right by Central Market. I think they're part of the Gables. Not sure how much though. Get an apartment locator (for free) if you're looking for an apartment. If you're looking for a house then your best bet is probably to drive around and look for by owner signs. Of course, there's always Craigslist too.

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: austin districts

thanks for all the great info! i am also curious about the far west area...

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: austin districts

Far West area is in the Northwest Hills section that I mentioned. At least, I lump it in with everything that's in northwest Austin and has hills.

I think this would be a good location for a young professional. Depending on where you live, you'll be within walking to some restaurants. But there are areas of Far West (homes on residential streets) that might be out of walking distance for you.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,750 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: austin districts

More and more young professionals are opting for the Lakeway area so that they can get to town via Hwy 71 and still be all set for Lake Travis boats, water skiiing, swimming etc. during the weekend day time!