We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

Hicksville, New York
7 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

My sister has a business meeting in Austin and I decided to tag along for the ride. I was hoping for some reccomendations for a good hotel near the 6th Street area thats not super expensive.

We were planning on getting tickets for the Mardi Gras party and was wondering how it is? Also, we need some sort of way to get there by public transporation. Hopefully something close to the hotel.

I also need a reccomendation for a good bar to watch the superbowl at. I am 25 and she is 28.

Thanks in advance.

-Frank

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

Howdy! Welcome to Austin.

Last things first: Super Bowl?? The Super Bowl's over! It was on January 4 in Pasadena, and UT won! HOOK'EM!!!! But you may have meant that NFL thingy between the AFC and NFC champs?! There are a lot of nice sports bars in Austin, and one of the nicest downtown is the Fox and Hound at 4th and Guadalupe. Two stories plus the roof in nice weather, full bar and varied selection from the kitchen, and plenty of screens, almost all of which will be focused on the "super bowl" on February 5!

I hate to say I've never been to the Mardi Gras party, but there will surely be other posters who can tell you all about it!

Hotels near the Sixth Street Area that aren't super expensive?! If that includes the "expensive" category, consider the Radisson Town Lake, at Congress and Cesar Chavez. Cesar Chavez is the former 1st Street, to give you an idea where it is in relation to Sixth Street. Not a bad walk and a very cheap cab ride. The Extended Stay America is actually on Sixth Street, though a bit west of the club district, still in walking district; you can also walk the other way to reach Katz's and Whole Foods Market. (If you like the Columbus Circle store, check out the flagship!) A little further away, but cheaper, are the San Jose Motel and the Austin Motel, both on South Congress -- we've got a SoCo like NYC has a SoHo. Check out their websites, and their reviews here. You'll be close by some newer trendy restaurants and Guero's, a more established TexMex establishment.

All of these locations (the Extended Stay a little less than the others) have great access to Austin's bus system, whose routes generally converge on Congress Avenue downtown. You'll have no trouble getting to Carnaval, which is at the Palmer Events Center (I take it that's what you meant by the Mardi Gras Party?!).

Some websites:

www.austinmotel.com

www.carnavalaustin.com

www.sanjosehotel.com

www.austintexas.org

Welcome and good luck!

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

You've gotten some great information. Fox & Hound is a good choice for TV watching. If you find yourself in the area of 12th and Lamar, you can also watch the game at the Tavern. I like the Tavern if I'm just into the game cause the TVs are placed better, and the people there are more local folks just trying to watch the game. At the Fox, you get people doing all kinds of things, and sometimes there's live music downstairs, but I'm sure for Super Bowl more people will be watching.

I can't tell you anything about the Mardi Gras party on Sixth. The only thing I know is that one year a riot broke out. I've known lots of folks to enjoy Carnaval. From their descriptions, it's pretty racy.

Have fun!

austin
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

great view and inexpensive- holiday inn on town lake-

Hicksville, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

Thanks for your advise. We booked the Radisson for friday and saturday then are switching to the Renaissance Austin Hotel on Arboretum Boulevard on Sunday. Is there any good sports bars in that area? And yes i ment Carnival instead of the Mardi Gras party.

Level Contributor
357 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

I'm not as familiar with North Austin, but there is a Dave & Buster's at 183 and Mopac, which is just south (east, really) of the Arboretum on 183. I believe they have TVs there. In fact, there might be more options if you travel north of the Arborteum on 183. There's a slew of restaurants along that stretch of road.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
437 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

The Carnival party is always one of the best parties in Austin. It has tamed down a tad since they moved it from the City Coliseum three years ago, but it still gets really crazy. You can get a cheap cab from your downtown hotel to party, or you could even walk (a fairly long walk, but doable).

There's not much in terms of Sports Bars in North Austin, Dave & Buster's has lots of TVs (but not big screens), you could also walk from the Renaissance to Friday's (also in the Arboretum, also lots of TVs, but no big screens). Sam's Boat is probably your best option. It is located at the Braker exit off Mopac, they've got big screens, they always show sports, and they have cheap drink specials and unhealthy fried food. There are several good restaurant/bars in the area where you can watch sports (Baby Acapulco's, North by Northwest brew pub, Iron Cactus North), but they aren't really sports bars.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

You've been given some good info and I'm just questioning your move to the Renaissance. Its very nice but very much out of the "Austin scene". Its rather far north and is in a nice area but you're from NY so it may have limited appeal for you. Think Pottery Barn, Tommy Bahama. Downtown Austin is where most of the fun happens, live music, sports bars, clubs--you get the picture!

Watching the Super Bowl at the Tavern is a great suggestion! This is a landmark place and you'll have a ball!

Try www.mapquest.com to get a picture of where the hotels are located.

www.austintexas.org, 512-478-0098 for the visitor's center to get a free packet sent with some good maps with the visitor's guide. Clubs, sports bars are listed, locations where live music is available, addresses etc.

Enjoy your trip and give us a review?

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

I'm with Austintostay on the Renaissance. It's a fine motel but that part of town looks like Dallas or Houston (or St. Louis or Pittsburgh or ...). The one nice thing you can do is take a drive on Loop 360, which is very scenic. Check out the Pennybacker bridge crossing Lake Austin.

The Carnaval's ads in the chronicle all indicate it sold out last year. By the way when you Google it, note the spelling.

Hicksville, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

My sisters business meeting begins that Sunday so thats why we switched to the Renaissance. I'll be going back to NY the next day, so at least I can stay for two days in the downtown area. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, ill post a review when i get home.

Hicksville, New York
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Austin February 3rd - 6th

My sisters business meeting begins that Sunday so thats why we switched to the Renaissance. I'll be going back to NY the next day, so at least I can stay for two days in the downtown area. Thanks everyone for your suggestions, ill post a review when i get home.