We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
176 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

I am going to be spending one night in Austin to experience the nightlife of 6th Street and would love some suggestions for good hotels in that area. I am not looking for outlandish luxury but nice and clean!

thanks!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

There are lots of hotels in the downtown area that are nice and within an easy walk to experience 6th Street. You didn't mention a price range or the dates of your visit, but probably the most inexpensive hotel in that area is the Extended Stay America on 6th at Guadalupe. They often have rooms for around $100 a night, sometimes less. You could probably find a room for less using Priceline.com.

Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

I suggest the Stephen F Austin, great hotel, great location, and usually not too expensive

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

We stay at the Hilton Garden Inn which is on 6th St (at one end). Some of the rooms get road noise from I-35, so ask for a quiet room. We've never had a problem. It's our go-to for celebrations downtown when we don't want to drive.

Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
326 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

I bid on Priceline for a hotel downtown and got the Holiday Inn Austin Town Lake from 12/17 to 12/21....

I bid $50 and with fees it comes to $59,.97 a night. There is a free shuttle downtown and free parking.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,287 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

The Holiday Inn at Town Lake is not in the greatest location. Please be careful after dark (or take a cab).

Toledo, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Toledo
Level Contributor
326 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

Oh great! That sucks..... That's the only bad thing about Priceline. What should I be looking out for?

Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

I'm leaning towards the Stephen F Austin...it seems to be in a good location, not terribly expensive and has good reviews. Although the airport hotels seems to have all the votes on tripdvisor, I don't want to have to drive after a night on the town!

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

The Stephen F. Austin would be a great place to stay and enjoy the downtown music scene. PLEASE don't stay in one of the airport hotels. They're mostly nice, clean, generic, and very, very out of the way!

Welcome to Austin!

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
864 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

@Visa711 - The Holiday Inn itself is okay. I just wouldn't recommend walking from the 6th St area back to the hotel. Look at the location on google maps and you'll see it's somewhat remote. The area (especially Rainy St) is becoming somewhat regentrified, but it's not really walkable.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for good hotel near 6th St.

Excuse me for barging in on this...

...but I have no choice. In about 3 weeks, I'm assigned to one of the near-airport hotels.

Rental car, taxi... or is the bus system a little better for me than it looks?