We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In for SXSW - where to stay?

NY
5 posts
Save Topic
In for SXSW - where to stay?

My film (51 Birch Street) will screening at SXSW and I'm looking for a good but inexpensive place to stay. I have reservations in the Austin Motel for the 10th to 14th, but they're booked after that and I need a place from the 15th to 18th. Any insider tips?

Many thanks

Level Contributor
8 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In for SXSW - where to stay?

Good Luck.

SXSW is a mess. I stopped going for years because it just became too much of a zoo.

However, there are some hotels that are a little bit further away from the action which will probably have rooms. Both the Mariott and Doubletree Guest Suites are closer towards the Capital in downtown. They're both within 10 blocks of the 6th street area. Expect to pay 180-210ish per room, which is probably the same that you were paying at the Austin Motel.

I personally like the Doubletree Guest Suites better since you get more room and a kitchen in your suite. Helpful if you're hosting guests in your room.

NY
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: In for SXSW - where to stay?

thanks, jayci. i actually have found a place, the Wellsley Hotel. now i just need a way to figure out how to get all of austin to turn out for my screenings ;-) but that's a discussion for another day, and probably another forum (any suggestions?).

Austin
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In for SXSW - where to stay?

When and where are your screenings (if you know yet)? I've been involved in several SXSW films, and certain venues seem to fill up just because of location. Other than that, maybe try to get some extra coverage in the Chronicle or Statesman?

austin
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: In for SXSW - where to stay?

db block- contact the Austin FIlm Society - they can help 'turn out' folks.....good luck ~you could also see if you can set a promo around AFS members get a 2 for 1 admittance or something like that as a promo IF it is allowed under the rules.

also, don't hesitate to brainstorm up your own promo and send press releases to all the local print sources....XLent at our Dailyl rag , the Austin American Statesman- is the most important- if you choose to run a print ad.

also, ROLLERBLADE POSTERING SERVICE-

look him up - he is THE postering service for our area in cool places ~he is googlable.