We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

In my first post I asked about outdoor activities. Now my question pertains to upscale clubs and restaurants. I was thinking Friday night at Sullivan's for sure but I'm not sure about the rest. My friend will be here 3 nights. I was also considering Uchi and Fonda San Miguel for restaurants. What about the Driskill's bar? Since I'm new to Austin I really don't have a concept of where things are in relation to one another. I'd hate to spend too much time driving around going from restaurant to club. Thanks! Any other suggestions for great "can't-miss" things to do would be appreciated.

Austin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

Hi fishinggirl

I am not quite sure what "25 and up" means here in Austin, since it is such a young town, but I'll assume you mean "where college kids don't go" for now (?)

And are you looking for restaurants, or bars, or both?

I do know Sullivan's and I do know Fonda San Miguel. Fonda San Miguel is a destination of it's won, after which you will drive elsewhere to continue the night. The food and the dining experience is unique to Austin, but if you are 30- something single women, you'll enjoy a fine meal and each other's company and then go out.

Sullivan's will put you right in the warehouse district, provide great food, and a better atmosphere for an upscale girl's night out. The bar and later "nightclub" will be more of a well-heeled over-35 ish crowd too. Pretty tame after dinner.

I haven't been to Driskill's bar, but I have never missed at Loui's 106 on 6th right near there. Great food too. You can have tapas, or a meal, or tapas and drinks, and find a fun upscale crowd usually. From there, you can walk 6th street for people watching, and walk to the Warehouse District, where a somewhat "over 25" crowd can be found.

AT any rate, I have had lots of guests "over 25" (and 35 lol) and we always have fun parking and dining downtown. I'd stay there.

Have fun!

Kelly

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

There are several threads posted previously on the Austin forum that might help with your choices including "Austin Restaurant Recommendations" and "Rent Canoes in Hill Country". Don't forget watching the bats come out from under the bridge on Congress!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,863 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

I don't know....isn't Sullivan's a chain steakhouse? I really don't care for the contrived-feel of the warehouse district.

I would pick either Fonda San Miguel or Uchi depending on your guests tastes.

Why don't you stop into the Driskill and check it out before your guests arrive? I've been there, but it was during a large event, so I'm sure the normal vibe was much different from my experience that night. But...it looked great to me - plenty of areas where y'all could sit and chat.

And speaking of upscale...it's the Driskill one of the beast places to eat also? They have a website where you can check them out.

My can't miss is S Congress - IT IS AUSTIN.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,863 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

Hiliarious!!!

Beast places to eat!!

I'm sure they have a beast or two to eat...BUT...I heard it's one of the BEST.

Conroe, TX
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

If you want a terrific dining experience and like seafood with a carribean twist then you can not miss treating yourself to BAHAMA BREEZE. It is a limited national chain and they have a great location in Austin. I travel at least once a year to Austin and it has become tradition for me to stop in here everytime.

They have live music in the outside bar ranging from local country, light rock talent to calipso.

The restaurant inside has a wonder ambience with terrific wait staff.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Austin, I know I always do.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

I'm looking for both bars and restaurants. My friend is male and I'm looking for some "romantic" places to take him. I also want the places to be something unique to Austin. Thanks!

Austin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh I see!

The Fonda San Miguel is the ticket for you :-)

Austin
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

I'm fairly certain Bahama Breeze is defunct in Austin. You're right though, it's great and I always go when I am in Florida!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,863 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants and Clubs for the 25 and up crowd

I think Bahama Breeze tanked around Dallas too (Irving and Frisco).