We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
897 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

im going to austin soon for 2 weeks. i was planning on renting a car, but now im starting to think austin is pretty easy to get around by bus (or isnt it?). anyway, would love to pay 5 bucks for a monthly student pass vs. the 600 dollars it would cost me for a corolla (im under 25 and in texas you pay extra due to that).

2 questions

1. would i be more or less okay traveling by bus around austin? the only things outside from where i am staying (staying on bee caves near zilker park)where i think i might need a car are some places over 30 minutes from where i am staying by car. i might for sure just need a car for a couple of days.

2. can i take the bus from and to the airport with a large suitcase? i would have to take the airport flyer which i assume is fine with luggage, but then i would have to take the dillo which may refuse me.

any help appreciated. gracias!

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

Where exactly are you staying? Have you checked to see if a bus runs within walking distance to where you are staying? You may be limited by the actual bus service times. Most routes stop running around 10PM, so if you were planning on seeing bands, then heading back out to Bee Caves, there may not be bus routes running then.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
897 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

hi. im staying in an apartment not a hotel. seeing bands? like music? my flight arrives at 11:40 am, so i think im alright with bus times. when i used the bus schedule online, it said i would have to walk .3 of a mile which is ok with luggage i guess.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

The bus that runs between Downtown and the airport is quite nice. Known as the "Airport Flyer." It runs about once an hour and has luggage racks at the front. Very limited on its stops except for Downtown, which it mostly serves hotels.

I believe that the "student" fare on Cap Metro applies to K-12 only. That's typically how it works with most transit systems, at least. Also, they have different fare structures for express and local services, and not having a fare card for the express services in Austin may be problematic if you're relying on the bus to get around. For instance, the Airport Flyer is on the express fare structure.

The area where you're staying, Westlake, isn't exactly the most developed part of the city, so I think your biggest problem is going to be getting little things like food and such, unless you're already walking distance or that's taken care of by who you're staying with (if you're staying with someone).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

I've taken the airport flyer and my husband uses it all the time. It's reliable, on time and you should have no problem with your luggage. I cannot vouch for the bus service to Westlake. you might be standing in the sun with your suitcase for a while, but no one will likely bother you and you should not have any trouble taking it on the bus. I think everybody else on here has made really good points and have given a fairly accurate picture of bus transportation in Austin (not the greatest). I do know it can be a long wait at night, so if you are thinking about the bars and such, you might want to cab it home. $600 is a lot of money. If I was in your position, I'd take a chance on the buses to get me to my lodging, then consider renting a car for a couple of days. Enterprise will come to you. I've done that before.

http://www.capmetro.org/

here's the cap metro website

and you can call this number to plan your route and ask questions (my husband taught me this one).

Specific Route Information | (512) 474-1200 | (800) 474-1201

San Diego...
Level Contributor
897 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

thanks guys. im going to keep trying priceline to see if i could get 15 days for 400-500 (doubtful though). as of now, i decided just to shut up and keep the car rental i have with ace. the only time i really plan as of now to use the buses is when i go downtown because i hear how bad parking is there.

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
784 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

Keeping the car will probably be a good move if you're staying out in Westlake/Bee Cave. If you look at the bus schedules you'll see the last bus back to that area is from 9:30 - 10:30PM and they run every 50 minutes. You'd need to keep track of your time to minimize waits. Also, depending on where the bus stops and where you're walking to, I'm not too sure about sidewalks (maybe look at google street view to see the area you'll be walking).

You could get to the music venues on the bus, but you'd need to taxi back to the appt (which could be wise if you plan on drinking). However, taxi's aren't cheap either.

CA, wine country
Level Contributor
5 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

Just returned from Austin and the best ground transportation to/from the airport for ..50 cents per person! Airport Flyer takes you to 7th and Congress and the inner core of Austin. Trip takes about 15 minutes and is a piece of cake.

Walk out of the terminal and turn to the right PAST the taxis (which charge about $25 for the same trip)and wait at the bus stop.

The 'Dillo (Orange/Red/Gold/Blue/Silver)will take you all over Austin for FREE once you're in the core.

The Austin bus system is elaborate and equally efficient. Good luck!

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

Thanks for a current update on visiting Austin! Those of us answering questions on the board do our best but there's nothing like a visitor giving an unbiased report on their trip!

Please come back soon!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
897 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

thanks for the updates, however, did you have to catch a connecting bus AFTER the airport bus dropped you off? see i would need to catch another bus. i know the aiport bus is good and lets you take luggage with you, but do the regular buses allow suitcases too? i know certain bus lines will refuse you due to luggage.

10. Re: taking a bus from austin international airport with luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 27, 2009