We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time of Year to Visit?

Boston
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Best Time of Year to Visit?

Hi,

I am thinking of planning a trip to Austin and was wodnering what months are the best time to visit? I don't know much about the weather, but I am looking for warm but not so hot I will pass out. I am in my early 30's and like live music, museums, the bar scene and would be going with a friend. Thanks!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
495 posts
38 reviews
60 helpful votes
1. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

Nicest time is spring. But our weather here is so unpredictable. 100 degree super- hot weather can range from May-Oct. (with a few cool fronts here and there in Sept-Oct) Feb-April is usually the nicest weather I think.

I’d recommend spring time- cool at nights, 70-80s in the day time.….usually….

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
565 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

You said you like live music, so if you can handle the heat you should go during Austin City Limits fest, Sept 14-16.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
78 reviews
76 helpful votes
3. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

ACL Fest is awesome, but it can be hot - two years ago literally 107 degrees in the shade. Last year it was much more reasonable. I like early summer so that you can take advantage of swimming activities (toobing, Barton Springs, etc.) After all we do have air conditioning and the beer is ice cold.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
495 posts
38 reviews
60 helpful votes
4. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

I agree, ACL fest is fun, but HOT!!!!!!!!!!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

Spring is beautiful with all the wildflowers in bloom, but we can get vicious thunderstorms that blow in unexpectedly. October is my favorite month. ACL is HOT, especially if you are not acclimated. I wish they would change the dates. There is always lots of live music here.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
2 posts
73 reviews
98 helpful votes
6. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

March is by far the busiest month in Austin. If you decide to come then, make sure to book hotels a year in advance if possible. There is the SXSW (South By SouthWest) music festival, the Austin Film Festival, the Star of Texas Fair and Rodeo, the state high school basketball tournament, and some others that I probably forgot. Then there are all the wildflower viewing types (motorcycle clubs, etc.) in town as a basecamp. The bald eagles are still nesting out on Hwy 29 east of Llano in March as well. The weather is all over the place, but that makes it fun!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
343 posts
40 reviews
48 helpful votes
7. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

I am in my early 30's as well, and I think the entire year is beautiful. It can get quite hot and then chilly the next so it's hard to say when the perfect time is. I personally would stay away from Austin during ACL and SXSW and come at other times. I know some may disagree, but this gives you the chance to experience Austin hospitality, reasonable hotel rates and you can get into most shows with a low to moderate cover.

During ACL and SXSW the cities overrun with tourists (not a bad thing just there are SO MANY) and you can't get into see a band unless you wait in an extremely long line and spend a gazillion bucks.

Bands play everynight so come when ever the tickets and hotels are cheapest or when you can steal the time away from your everyday.

Austin
Level Contributor
924 posts
11 reviews
32 helpful votes
8. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

My whole family makes it a point to visit every April. This is when the wildflowers are at their best and the temperature is absolutely wonderful.

My family used to visit in September, but it ended up being so hot that they now skip it. Last time they visited two years ago, it was in the high 90s with horrible humidty -- and it wasn't better last year.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

We visited at the beginning of December last year & it was just perfect! We walked everywhere we could...& though there was a tiny tip in the air, the whole trip was just refreshing. Just what we needed. :-)

Austin
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
10. Re: Best Time of Year to Visit?

I'd say avoid July and August, otherwise you'll likely survive Austin.