We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austin with a 5 year old son

Sweden
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
Austin with a 5 year old son

Hi,

We're visiting my aunt who has just moves to Austin from abroad. We are planning on staying during the holidays. I have a 5 year old son with me.

1. Because my aunt is new to the city and all and doesn't have a car yet I was wondering if I can get info, recommendations or tips on places to visit and transportation and so that will be fun for my son or any other family friendly places 😊

2.Also in general any places you recommend a first trimmer to visit or things to do?

3.How is the weather during that period (christmas- new year)

4. Do we need a car seat for my son and if so can we rent one or is there an affordable place to bye? Maybe second hand

6 replies to this topic
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Austin with a 5 year old son

If you could tell us what part of Austin your aunt lives we could be more helpful on suggestions and transportation.

Your son is the perfect age for the very nice children's museum The Thinkery located in the Mueller development.

Christmas weather in Austin is unpredictable. It might be very warm or it might be blustery and cold. I suspect even if we have a chilly day or so it will pass quickly.

Welcome to Austin!

Edited: 11:07 pm, November 19, 2017
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
19,657 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austin with a 5 year old son

https://www.terratoys.com/

Amy's Ice cream

Sweden
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Austin with a 5 year old son

Hi again and that's for your replyes

Well I'm really bad at this sorry. I'm not familiar with the different areas in Austin so please bear with me :)... As I can see in Google maps she lives in an area between Crest view & North Loop. Don't know what it's called. Hope that you know what I mean or that I got it right :) Please correct me if I'm wrong :)

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Austin with a 5 year old son

The neighborhood near Crestview and North Loop has lots of possibilities for family friendly restaurants and some interesting shops. Very nice neighborhood library. There is bus service on Burnet Road, a main road through the area. Www.capmetro.com will give you info on our bus routes and times.

The children's museum is not near your aunt's location but might be a possibility if you rent a car for a day or so.

You will need a car seat for your child if you decide to get a rental.

Again, welcome to Austin!

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
864 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Austin with a 5 year old son

Here's some information I found on Child Safety Seats

Depending on your child's age and height, he or she may be required to use a child safety seat while inside a motor vehicle. Children under 8 years old MUST use a safety seat according to the manufacturer's specifications, UNLESS they are taller than 4 ft 9 in tall.

•Booster seats for children 4 years old and older and 40 lbs. or more until the adult safety belt fits properly.

Sweden
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Austin with a 5 year old son

thanks again really appreciate your time and help. Looking forward for the tripe :)

Reply to: Austin with a 5 year old son
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted