We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young family from England visiting Austin late April

Cambridge England
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Young family from England visiting Austin late April

I am visiting Austin with my daughter and her husband for a few days in late April. We are driving up from Mexico with my one and a half year old grandson and would appreciate suggestions for a small family-friendly hotel or B&B plus a suitable area to stay plus things to do.

We love the outdoors,nature etc and also music (a bit difficult with a little one I know) and places to see that aren't too touristy.

Have visited Houston and the border areas before but decided its time to pay homage to the State Capital.

I know you Texans won't let me down so all suggestions gratefully received.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,925 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

There are lots of places to stay, some funky, some chains but with a baby you might want to consider the Embassy Suites downtown. It is convenient, has a small indoor pool and the kitchen amenities. We have also stayed at the Homestead Studio Suites- a little less fancy and worn but a good location and not a bad price.

One family friendly music venue is Threadgills (threadgills.com)- kind of home cooking type food with a Sunday gospel brunch and an outdoor beergarden- check the schedule and ask if that particular show allows kids- it varies.

You can walk down 6th Street and in the Warehouse district during the afternoon and hear lots of music- it just won't be the livilier evening crowds. The Iron Cactus is a newer location that you might check out while down there.

Of course, Zilker Park is a great place for anyone who enjoys the outdoors plus Barton Springs Pool- a little nippy but lots of fun. (www.ci.austin.tx.us/parks/bartonsprings.htm)

Cambridge England
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

Thanks Poodle.Very kind of you.Any more ideas anyone?

Austin
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

Town Lake is smack in the middle of town and has nice walking trails. It eventually leads to Barton Springs and Zilker Park, but there's no way to walk from Town Lake to the Park, not that you'd really want to, because of the distance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Town_Lake

I recommend exploring the Hill Country north of Austin and heading to Enchanted Rock in Frediricksburg.

…state.tx.us/spdest/…

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
214 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

Austin was so great-we were there around December. For a place to saty, I suggest the Hotel San Jose if you are into funky...the vibe there (and that whole 6th st. area is great) Amy's ice cream is local and delicious, make sure you try some. We went to Zilker Park and that was nice. The Continental Club was great for live music, but it's a bar-so that's an adults only event. The kids will like the Texas Museum of History. It has a Spirit of Texas show-it's like a movie with special effects. We are at a local place called Guero's Taco Bar-so fresh do delicious! Margarita heaven! The Driskill is a old Historic hotel that you can walk in and see. We stayed there 1 nigh-Splurge-but worth it. You'll walk a lot in Austin-but you'll love it. I think the bats under the Congress bridge may be back by then. Check that out too!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,901 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

First of all...Ilove your screen name - hilarious!!!

Poodle had mentioned Zilker Park - which would be fun for the grandson - there's a toddler playground and a mini train (the Zilker Zephyr) ride around the park.

Carrington's Bluff is a family friendly B&B and is a nice neighborhood to walk around. And there's another that I'll have to find that's more like a small apartment..

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,901 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

Here it is...Brava House:

http://www.bravahouse.com/tour9.html

Cambridge England
Level Contributor
37 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

Good Nooz,Good Nooz !! All this is great .Just tell me where I might find Uncle Jessie and Boss Hogg?

Thanks to you all.Lots of ideas to get the holiday plans going.

By the way Pepper, me and Mrs Coltrane visited Tulum on our honeymoon in '82 when the only tourist facilities were a wooden shack and some cokes in a cooler. Bet its changed since then?!

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
Level Contributor
13,901 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

OhMyGawd...RoscoPColtrane!!!

It has changed sooo much!!! It's the beginning of the end actually; there's an AI at the end of the Coba Rd where it T's along the beach rd. Our family of 4 would cost $800/night to stay there...not that we'd ever do an all-inclusive, but sheesh....$800/night!!!

There are still a few sticks huts, but even some of those land owners are selling out. And then there are land disputes because of the land belonging to indigenous people (ejido land). One hotel even refabbed Pablo Escobar's old place and now it's a swank hotel.

Austin, TX
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

On the last Saturday of April there is an annual event in Austin called "Eeyore's Birthday". It is held in Pease park in central Austin, and this will be its 44th anniversary. It goes from 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.

You can search for it on Wikipedia and get a lot of info, and on Flickr for photos of the event.

It is for both adults and kids. The family friendly events include games like egg toss, potato sack races, hula hooping, face painting, and a playground.

There is also live music, drumming, and lots of people walking around in costumes.

Austin
Level Contributor
910 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Young family from England visiting Austin late April

Surprised no one has suggested a visit to the Lady Bird Wildflower Center. At the end of April, you will be there very near the peak season. We like to combine a trip to the Wildflower Center with a trip to the Saltlick BBQ in Driftwood. Both are south of Austin. Even my quasi-vegetarian elderly parents love the Saltlick and we've been taking my daughter there since she was a week old.

Hamilton Pool is one of our favorites. It's a pond lying under a caved-in cave. Hard to describe, but very beautiful and well worth the 45 minutes from where we live in central Austin. You can even walk to the Pedernales River from there.

Mt Bonnell is accessible via an easy five minute walk to the summit. Definitely nice views and close to the center of town.

Take your toddler to Zilker Park. He will love the Zilker Zephyr, a train that will take you around a small part of the park. You can combine this visit with a trip to the Botanical Gardens also in Zilker. The gardens include a lovely Japanese Garden. There is also a lovely walk along the river (called Town Lake) where you can watch the turtles and feed the ducks. There's even a large playground in Zilker Park. April is the best time to go.

If it rains, visit the LBJ Library on UT's campus. The temporary exhibitions are usually very good. The permanent exhibition showing a various assortment of over-the-top gifts from heads of state is well worth it. And the LBJ is free.