We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions what to do in Amarillo

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
Opinions what to do in Amarillo

We will be in Amarillo for one day with 2 young children. What fun family thing would you suggest seeing or doing while there?

Thank you!!

Karen

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions what to do in Amarillo

Check this thread for ideas tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g30165-i878-k19471…

Dallas, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions what to do in Amarillo

Thank you!!

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Opinions what to do in Amarillo

Depending on where you are coming from, big city or not? We have a nice zoo, but if you live in a bigger city with a zoo, then ours probably wouldn't compare. Nevertheless, it's still a nice zoo. Also, depending on your kids ages, you could go to Wonderland (again depends on what you're used to), but Wonderland is nice and reasonably priced. Palo Duro Canyon is beautiful scenery and you can rent horses (that's not cheap though). The Panhandle Plains Museum is a very good historical museum, but I also know how kids can be about museums......(ewww, that's too much like school, don't want to do that!) Discovery Center and Botanical Garden, might be an idea. I think all of these mentioned have their own websites.

The Kawhadi Indian museum might be good? I haven't been to it, so I don't know. The Quarter Horse museum if you have any horselovers in the family.

Anyway, just some ideas.

Ummm, Wildcat Bluff, for a nice hike, that's not as far as Palo Duro Canyon.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,114 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Opinions what to do in Amarillo

http://www.amarillo247.com/

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
259 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Opinions what to do in Amarillo

I'm taking my family to do the Elkins Ranch Cowboy breakfast. It has jeep tour through Palo Duro canyon, good food and entertainment. Then we will have the rest of the day to check out the other things around town. Also eating dinner at the Big Texan Steakhouse. (I've seen it on sooo many tv documentaries- just have to go)

6. Re: Opinions what to do in Amarillo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:27 am, September 28, 2009