We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this a doable itinerary?

Which Amarillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Is this a doable itinerary?

We're taking a quick trip to Amarillo this Thurs/Fri...just staying overnight. Just needed a quick getaway for our little family...an escape from reality! LOL We are bringing our two children...3 yrs and 9 months.

We plan to leave Dallas early Thursday morning and stop to see the camels near Iowa Park (and stretch our legs) on our way to Groom to see the cross and sculptures. We'll then head on to Amarillo. We're spending the night at Drury Inn and Suites. Here are the things we would like to do. I'm just curious to know if we will be able to fit them all in as I don't know how much time each will require...

Palo Duro State Park

Panhandle Plains Museum

Discovery Science Center

Cadillac Ranch

We'd like to go on Route 66, take pics, maybe visit some shops? (Is this IN Amarillo, though, or how far away?)

Do you think we'll have time to do all of this if we are not arriving in Amarillo until after lunch on Thursday and will probably leave around 4-5pm on Friday?

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this a doable itinerary?

Seems like you should be able to get it all in. Palo Duro Canyon is about half an hour from Amarillo. You may want to spend a couple of hours looking around it. Cadillac Ranch is 15 minutes or so west of town. Figure half an hour or so there. Everything else is in town. I haven't been to old 66 in Amarillo, but it's in town I believe. A web search should give you all the info you need.

Amarillo, Texas
Level Contributor
163 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this a doable itinerary?

Route 66 is in town. It's referred to as 6th Street. Has some nice antique shops to visit. Also, Barney's Beanery is on that street as well, and you could have lunch there. It's a hamburger place. There's also Golden Light Cafe, it's a bit rougher, but has good burgers as well.

As far as itinerary, personally, I think it might be a bit rushed, but it just depends on how much time you spend at the canyon and the museum.

Arlington, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this a doable itinerary?

Thanks, guys! I think we might do the state park and museum on Thursday (maybe leave a little earlier from Dallas), eat dinner at Macaroni Joe's or Zen 721 or BL Bistro maybe?, then go to the Discovery Center on Friday morning, eat lunch at a burger place (heard Golden Light had great burgers, but I have a 3 yr old and a 9 month old...???...does Barney's have burgers that are as good?), check out Cadillac Ranch and Route 66 and might even pick up Route 66 on the way home and hit Shamrock.

Thanks for your help!

4. Re: Is this a doable itinerary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 27, 2009