We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early November weather

Which Amarillo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Early November weather

We will be driving from Fort Worth to Phoenix the first week in November. Our plans were to take I-10 to Midland and El Paso, however that route does not appear to be very scenic so have been rethinking our routes.

Thought Cadillac Ranch and Palo Duro Canyon looked interesting. If we go from Fort Worth to Amarillo, then north to Alamagordo, what sort of weather can we expect that time of year?

We have driven I-10 from Las Cruces to Tucson/Phoenix a couple of times that time of year, so we know what the weather is likely to be there. We go to Phoenix every year in November for the NASCAR races. We usually drive our own car from Washington so we have a clothes for all weather. However, this year we are flying into San Antonio, renting a car then driving to Fort Worth for the races there before continuing on to Phoenix, so don't want to pack a lot of cool weather clothing.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early November weather

I think you'll have to play it by ear. North Texas weather in November can vary from Indian Summer-like to very cold. Usually the early cold spells don't last too long, though.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early November weather

Hi Kitters

You mean I 20 to Odessa from Ft. Worth and going south to Alamogordo from Amarillo.

Have not been in november so can't judge about the weather. Palo Duro makes a very nice visit and you can see Cadillac Ranch in 15 minutes (just 10 old Cadillacs noses down in the soil). I would not want to make a long detour for it. Plus, if you are going through Amarillo and drive to Alamogordo, it's also not one of the most scenic drives. Maybe visit Fort Sumner and see Billy the Kids grave and museum. If you decide to drive I 20 to Odessa make a detour and drive Hobbs and to Carlsbad Caverns NP. CCNP and White Sands NM are the absolute highlight imho. Also best weatherwise I think. Or drive I40 from Amarillo with may side trips between Amarillo and Phoenix.

Tet

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early November weather

We've been to Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands. Thought we might drive to Roswell and then to Alamagordo.

I'm mainly looking for the most scenic drive from Fort Worth to Phoenix that can be completed in 3 1/2 days and won't require extra luggage. We plan to leave Fort Worth on Monday morning unless the races rain-out on Sunday, then we would leave as soon as the races are over on Monday. We need to be in Phoenix by Thursday afternoon.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early November weather

Kitters, it's a bit hard to give good advice on this route to me because you've been on many of those routes before. If you are a dedicated driver there's an option for visiting Big Ben NP in 3.5 days. Bite the bullet and drive the nine hours from Ft. Worth to Big Bend on monday or maybe stay for the night in Marathon at the great Gage Hotel. Then next day explore Big Bend NP and stay at the Chisos Mountains Lodge (reservations recommended) at a fantastic location. Then drive BB again and the beautiful stretch between Terlinqua and Presidio along Rio Grande and stay for the night in El Paso or Las Cruces. Last day to Phoenix. Yes this requires a lot of driving but if you have never been to BB this would be a chance and no need for extra closing either.

Tet

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early November weather

I went to Palo Duro around Thanksgiving several years ago and it was very cold at night. But during the day it should be fairly nice.

Also, in the South Plains, you have a nearly constant biting wind that gets pretty annoying after a couple of days. But, again, the days should be fine.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early November weather

I think perhaps we will stick with our original plan to go from Fort Worth to Midland and Deming, NM and spend the extra time seeing Chiricahua National Monument and more things around Tucson.

Driving up into NM and across the Sacramento Mts, I'm just afraid we may hit snow or cold weather. From the picture on the Texas website, I thought my husband would get a kick-out-of Cadillac Ranch. He is such car buff that we never pass an auto museum. But perhaps another time...

Tet, Big Bend National Park sounds really interesting, but too far to drive this trip. We try to limit ourselves to 6 hours driving time in the winter months. However, we go to Phoenix every November and spend two to three weeks sightseeing. We've seen most of AZ and quite a lot of NM. Big Bend is one we will consider for another year when we drive down from WA.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Early November weather

Hi Kitters

We'll be in Tx,NM and Az in october/november to. Maybe consider to drive from Deming to Silver City and take us180 to Glenwood and do the Catwalk. Then to Mogollon for a short but scary mountain drive and back to Arizona. That's what we are going to do. Then we'll drive to Chiricahua NM for a visit.

Tet

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Early November weather

We have driven from Deming to Silver City (sorry, I was a little disappointed in Silver City--didn't live up to the hype), but as I recall we circled back to Lordsburg instead of going north. It may have been shortly after the forest fires around Show Low and Eager and that was the reason not to go that way. That area is about the only part of AZ that we have not seen.

The mountain drives in AZ and NM don't bother us. Remember we live in Western Washington State! Have you ever driven up to Deer Park in Olympic National Park?

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
5,811 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Early November weather

There are actually a few old autos at the Mimbres Valley Museum in Deming, but it's not much.

A lot of people hit Chiricahua National Monument, but I just wanted to point out that the eastern side around Portal is probably nicer, more convenient and absolutely free. I was there this weekend and, the creek wasn't running, but it was still gorgeous out there, although it always is. To get there, you have to head south on Highway 80 from I-10 (Rodeo exit), then follow the sign to Portal (NM 543, I think). The road is paved for the entire way through the canyon.

If you do go to the monument coming from New Mexico, there's a short-cut through Bowie on Apache Pass Road that will also take you by Fort Bowie National Monument (well-preserved frontier fort). The road is unpaved but graded and fine for almost any car.

Sorry to get so off-topic.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,546 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Early November weather

Thanks colinaz, I'll drag out the AZ paper map and do some checking. We had originally planned some extra time to go to Chiricahua Monument , so will see what works out.