We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay???

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
116 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay???

Hi,

We are looking for inexpensive accomodation in Amarillo for 2 nights in mid August - we were wondering if anyone can suggest a location that will allow us to walk to main tourist attractions, such as route 66, or at least be as close as possible??And as cheap, but clean and safe as possible!!

We will be arriving by greyhound bus. If you could help it would be appreciated!!!

Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay???

That's a tough one.

Amarillo is a city of about 200,000 with a modest public transportation system at best. Everyone depends on cars for transportation and everything is along the I-40 corridor (hotels and restaurants).

Arriving by bus, you will arrive downtown, which is active by day but deserted by night--for the most part. It is at 7th and Tyler. I wouldn't recommend any hotels down there, really.

Route 66 was the main thoroughfare until I-40 came through in the late 60s. Since then, it has fallen into neglect. The only portion that is considered active is a portion locals call 6th street. It is actually 6th Ave. between Georgia and Maryland. Georgia is about 2 miles from the bus station through warehouse property. Not a pretty walk.

6th street is lined with 1940s era antique stores for daytime shopping and bars for night time entertainment (mostly the biker crowd). Is that what you wanted to see and do in Amarillo?

There are Bed and Breakfast accomodations downtown nearer I-40, then going west on I-40 the hotels are very competitive on pricing $60 (Travelodge West)-$90 (Drury-the newest hotel). East of downtown they are generally considered less safe, less expensive and less desireable.

If you have more questions, I'd be glad to help if I can. Please send me a message via TA.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay???

I live in amarillo and agree 100% with the previous poster. All major hotels are located off of I-40 and will not be in walking distance, but not too far away from 6th street. The hotels off of Ross/Osage will probably be the closest to the downtown area (where you can pick up route 66/6th street).

There are a few, Hampton Inn, La Quinta, Howard Johnson (formerly the Ramada), Days Inn, Microtel are just a few that are in that area. There are a lot of fast food restaurants nearby to help out with munchies.

Benton, AR
Level Contributor
51 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay???

Which Days Inn is the best in the area and the safest?

Thanks!

B. Calhoun

4. Re: Where should we stay???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 pm, September 05, 2009