We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aiken Steeplechase Weekend

Which Aiken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maine
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Aiken Steeplechase Weekend

We are visiting Aiken for the Steeplechase weekend march 18-22. Have acommodations but wondering about great restaurants and other events and activities that are going on. One person in our group loves BBQ and also wine. Any suggestions for dining?

Is the $100 patron tent at the steeplechase worth the $$?

Should we try to get a tailgate pass?

Any help on attending and enjoying the steeplechase is appreciated.

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Aiken Steeplechase Weekend

I am not familiar with the Steeplechase event but I'll address your other questions, having visited Aiken about 18 months ago.

Aiken is an old historic town with a small but nice downtown with a decent number of restaurants and shops and at least two barbecue places I can think of. We went to one - it was kind of bright inside and I'm going to look up the name - but the bbq was very good for a good price, too. The surrounding countryside is lovely so go for a nice drive. Note that speed limits going through rural towns drop quickly so be careful. Enjoy!

Maine
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Aiken Steeplechase Weekend

Thanks!

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
480 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Aiken Steeplechase Weekend

I personally don't think that the patron tent is worth the money. What you really want to get is a parking spot along the rail; that is where all the action is. Tailgating is the real main activity of the day; the horse races provide good background for the socializing. Be prepared for any kind of weather. We have had some Steeplechase weekends where it got up to 80 & everyone was sunburned, and we have others where it didn't get much above 50 & everyone shivered. Weather down here is very unpredictable for that time of year.

There are some really good restaurants downtown. Casa Bella has great Italian food. Oliva's has good Italian also. If you are into tapas, either Soiree or Davors is good. Takosushi is a fun place that serves both sushi & mexican. There are no good BBQ places downtown. I personally like Dukes out on Whiskey Rd (good BBQ & great veggie selection) but my husband prefers Bobby's BBQ out in Clearwater. Others swear by Carolina BBQ down in New Ellenton.

Maine
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Aiken Steeplechase Weekend

Thanks. This is a good help.

5. Re: Aiken Steeplechase Weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, August 23, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Aiken