We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Severe weather concerns

Manchester, NH
1 post
Save Topic
Severe weather concerns

Are there any types of severe weather concerns in Aiken, SC? My husband and I are considering a move to that area and would like to know what is considered a weather threat. We've lived in Texas and dealt with tornados, and in New England and have dealt with blizzards. We would just like to know what to be prepared for.Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Severe weather concerns

Hi,

I think Aiken would be a very nice choice for a relocation without many severe weather concerns, plus the people in the area seem to enjoy a great quality of life. Severe weather in the area could happen but it would be very, very rare. We do occasionally have tornados in NC and SC, but they are generally small and never reach the catagorys that you might see in Texas. (in 40+ years I've never seen a Tornado) You may see a little snow, some winters, and maybe every decade or so there may be as much as 8-10 inches at one time on the ground in Aiken; the danger there is not so much the snow, but that southerners don't know how to drive in it! (I had to learn fast, when I went to college in the snowy NC mountains) The only other severe weather problem that I can think of that could possibly impact your life would be a hurricane. Mostly, the Aiken area, may recieve heavy rain, and stormy weather as the remnants of a hurricane move through the area. We in the Charlotte, NC area, well to the north of Aiken, had severe problems from Hurricane Hugo in 1989, but that was truly a historic event. I've never known of a hurricane doing that level of damage in that area of SC. Weather-wise, Aiken is a good deal. The winters are generally mild, and although the summers can get rather hot, Aiken has many large, old trees to shade and cool you!

Best Wishes!

dm
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Severe weather concerns

I would say there are no severe weather concerns in Aiken, SC. I use to be a resident there, and my in-laws live in Houndslake on the southside. Aiken is a great place to retire or raise a family. You will love it!!!!

Mauldin, SC
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Severe weather concerns

Occasional tornado in the warm months; rare snowfall will snarl traffic as my fellow Southerners cannot drive in it. Overall nice weather with the biggest problem being the concentration of Republicans in the area. :->

Hope you have a safe trip down.

Aiken, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Severe weather concerns

The summers are quite hot and humid and most summer afternoons bring thunder storms, but there is very little in the way of severe weather. I've lived here most of my life and was a newspaper reporter here for a decade. I was sent out to cover only a few tornadoes in the region, never in the the city. Hurricanses are spent by the time they get this far inland and it only snows about once every three years, and maybe two inches then. I try to do my traveling in the summer because it is pretty oppressive here, but you'll have none of those severe weather fears you mentioned from tornadoes or blizzards. Thanks, Steve Hale

Aiken, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Severe weather concerns

Good point drluch. I should have warned viv1999 about the Republicans. They are quite pervasive, but quite friendly unless you try to reason with them. HaleStorm

Aiken SC
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Severe weather concerns

This is July, 8 months after your inquiry. I am wondering if you decided to come to Aiken.

I have lived in SC for 50 years, Aiken for 5. The only places I know that have really been damaged by hurricanes in SC and also infrequently are mostly Charleston, 3 hours away, Myrtle Beach, 3 plus hours away, and Rock Hill with Hugo in 1989, but it did not affect Aiken.

I lived in Lexington, SC before here and will say that I saw one huge tornado come through but did not put down there, instead waiting until Newberry. That same day 6 tornadoes came over and around but did not touch down in Lexington nor Aiken.

I personally think SC has one of the safest weather conditions in the country. Over 125 years ago, there was a earthquake in Charleston. If you want to stay away from the worst hit place in SC, don't live in or close to Charleston. I was devastated in 89 with Hugo. I see so many earthquakes on the West Coast, tornadoes down tornado alley, blizzards, floods, and have never experienced any of this in the midlands of SC. The last real snow where it was a winter wonderland was in 1980. In 1973, we had one where there were drits up to a whopping 3 feet..That was the only time in 50 years I have seen that and have been here since I was 12. Quite frankly, I see these peope talking about not being able to drive in the snow, and that is true, but I have to pray every year that we will actually get snow and am 99% of the time disappointed. Yes, we have icy days, but do the smart thing if you are retired...Stay home with ice on the road..THat is so rare.....

I hope you have made your decision and that you have moved to Aiken, or will move to Aiken. You will find it is a great place to live. Lots to do here if you just look, espeically for retirees..

The best thing about Aiken is the quaint downtown historic district, the sightseeing of the old Winter Colony homes, the horse events, lots of things for seniors to get involved in and an abundance of assisted living facilities..plus nothing is usually more than, at the most, 10 miles from your home...but normally an average of 5...and if you need a big mall to go to, Augusta is so close with their mall and within 2 exits, you will find everything you need...But, you can usually find it in Aiken if you just look.

Also, if you don't buy in a community that is miles from downtown Aiken, you are minutes from the hospital. I myself live in a very nice community with one acre plus lots and am about 3 miles from the hospital. As we age, that is a comforting thing. Also, you will find that the Augusta medical facilities are great and there is helicopter transport if necessary..

Come on down to Aiken, South Carolina....You will love it...

A happy Aiken, SC resident..

P.S. There is a Newcomer's Club. You can join and never quit going. There are ladies there who moved here in the 1950s and still go to the luncheons...Nice place to live and meet people if you leave the house...Also, if you golf, a plentiful amount of golf courses...Horse person? Many neighborhoods allow horses since we are a horse town...

Get answers to your questions about Aiken