We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel time and best route from Aiken to Master's in Augusta

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
168 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Travel time and best route from Aiken to Master's in Augusta

During the Master's tournament we are staying at the Sleep Inn in Aiken. How long will it take us to get to the Master's and is there a better route to take?

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
522 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel time and best route from Aiken to Master's in Augusta

The Sleep Inn in Aiken is off Whiskey Road (a main commercial drag) on the south side of town. I can make it to Augusta in 30 minutes from there on an average day; considering it is Masters Week, allow yourself an hour. The route I prefer is:

1. turn right onto Whiskey Road. Go to the intersection with Pine Log Road (3rd light).

2. turn left onto Pine Log Road. Stay straight on this; it will become Hitchcock Parkway (SC 118). take this to the intersection with Aiken-Augusta Hwy (US 1).

3. turn left onto US 1. Follow this into Augusta.

4. after you cross the river into Augusta, there are a couple of routes you can take. This is the one I prefer (takes you the back way to the National; you avoid all the traffic on Washington Rd)

a. Take US 1 to Walton Way (1st light after you cross the river). Turn right.

b. Stay on Walton Way for a few miles. You will go past the medical district & up a big hill into a residential area with large homes (known as "the Hill"). After you get into this area, you will pass Augusta State University (on your left). After passing Augusta State, watch for Highland Avenue. You will turn right onto Highland. Be careful; Highland intersects with Walton Way on the left and runs about 1/2 block with Walton Way before it breaks off to the right.

c. Stay on Highland; it becomes Berckman Road, which will take you right to the National. You will see the gates to the club on your left & people selling parking spots in their yard on your right (take them up on it; getting parking in the club grounds itself is impossible)

You can lessen your time in traffic by when you try to get there. HIstorically, most folks all try to arrive at the National between 8-9 am and then leave between 3-5 pm. By delaying your arrival a little or leaving a little early, you can avoid traffic. My husband & I did not go to the course until around 11 am for the final round last year; we had no problems with traffic at all (we parked at the house of a friend who lives near there). Also try to avoid Washington Rd (the main road that runs in front of the club; everyone (except the locals, who know better) use that road to get there.

Have a great time at the tournament. The grounds are gorgeous and the food is reasonable (although the souveniers are not!). For your first visit, I recommend just walking around the course taking it all in. A good place to get up a close up view of the golfers is at the driving range in front of the clubhouse. They all take several practice swings there before starting their rounds. Remember though, you WILL NOT be allowed to take a camera or any type of electronic devices onto the course. Women can only take a small purse (and I mean small - smaller than what you are allowed as a personal item on a plane). A search is done of every guest at each gate, and anything they do not allow WILL be confiscated.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
168 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel time and best route from Aiken to Master's in Augusta

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. It is really helpful.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
522 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel time and best route from Aiken to Master's in Augusta

No problem. I know how frustrating it can be to try to find your way around a totally strange area.

4. Re: Travel time and best route from Aiken to Master's in Augusta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:26 am, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Aiken