We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train watching

Denville NJ
1 post
Save Topic
Train watching

Has anybody been to Horseshoe curve? When is a good time to go?

Connecticut
Level Contributor
156 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train watching

have been there. Back in 2004. It was neat watching the trains come. You didn't know when one was going to come and it was pretty neat anticipating one coming...Then when you heard it coming it was pretty cool.....Very quiet and then here comes the whistle. Not sure when a good time to go is. Basically there is a lot of room up top to watch the trains. You go up the side of the hill on a short trip in a tram on tracks.

We went in May, it wasn't crowded. Kids loved it.

Allentown PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train watching

This place is incredible!

Therre are the people who know nothing about what they are seeing but every time my hubby and I go--we always meet some RAIL FAN (maybe modeler too) from somewhere in our great country.

They have recently cut down trees and topped trees and you can see the WHOLE CURVE.

There is nothing more fun than sitting there and all of a sudden hearing the groan and moan of engines straining to gain the top of the curve and I often turn on my camcorder to get that engine SOUND before the units come into sight.

WE see all kinds of consists and freight Through the week is the best time to see the most traffic but weekends are good if slower.

There is also a wonderous place called CASSANDRA BRIDGE in a tiny town outside Altoona.

THERE is also a WONDERFUL place to stay TRACKSIDE in CRESSON---I think it's called the CRESSON STATION but make reservations ahead since it has a gigantic porch with rockers right next to the tracts--it is never empty!!

HOPE THIS HELPED---just think a whole section of mt. was built into the curve right after the CIVIL WAR--and can't be improved on even to this day. AND THEY DID IT with shovels and horses ---NO big equipment.

THE MUSEUM in ALTOONA is a GREAT place to visit too.

Allentown PA
Level Contributor
3 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train watching

Best time is WEEK DAYS when more trains are running.

WE take folding chairs, cameras, (I take a book for between trains) but somedays there isn't much time between trains!

You usually meet another train fan and we always have someone to talk to about trains!

There is a great place not far from THE CURVE too--

CRESSON--has a great place to watch-and there's a motel advertised in Model Trains mags and in TRAINS too that is made for RR people! IT's right next to the main line right before it hits the curve and there's tons of information the host and/or other visitors can give you.

Cassandra Bridge (in Cassandra PA) is just past Cresson and a super place to sit on a comfy bench and wait for the groan of the diesels coming up the grade!

Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Train watching

My husband loves trains. We spent 2 nights the Station Inn in Cresson. They have a large front porch for train watching and about 70 trains a day pass by there. http://www.stationinnpa.com/

I'm sure you will enjoy going there. It's not far from Horseshoe Curve.

Anita

Soddy Daisy, TN

Mentioned in this post
Anita
Anita
Pennsylvania
5. Re: Train watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Altoona