We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

Which Allentown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Topic
Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

As a club sponsor, we wil be traveling from the Pittsburgh area at the end of March, with 25 high school students who will be staying 3 nights in the Allentown area to compete in SkillsUSA . There are no evening activites planned for the group and we are looking for bowling, movies, etc. that we could organize for our group so that they will be occupied in the evenings. Thank you for your help and suggestions.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

Kids might enjoy time at "The Promenade Shops at

Saucon Valley." This is a recently opened outdoor mall erected with a "village theme". Lots of shops including Old Navy, Nautica, LL Bean, Banana Republic, Barnes & Noble, places to eat, and a nine screen state-of-the-art theater. Plenty of good eating places also.

They could find plenty to do for one night out! It is located south of Allentown near Route 309 and Interstate 78, near Center Valley, PA.

It is being termed as Lehigh Valley's first "lifestyle center."

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

Thanks for the information. Do you know anything about the Crocodile Rock Cafe? It was recommended by the Leghigh Chamber of Commerce and I called to talk to the owner about setting up something for the entire group of about 400 students. He seems very accommodating and we are considering a buffet, 2 djs and karoke. Is this a good part of town? Does the club have a good reputation? We need to keep the kids safe and away from alcohol. He guaranteed an under 21 atmosphere with security.

Thanks for you help.

Sellersville, PA
Level Contributor
161 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

I don't know anything about the establishment you mention. I actually live half an hour away from Allentown. Other locals??

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

The website is crocodilerockcafe.com and you could find the address/location there. We are still looking at other options as well. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

Promenade is a good option, lots of stores that teens like; the Rave movie theater is there and very good.

Croc Rock sounds good, too. They have lots of national acts that perform there that teens go to. The place is very funky and kids kind of like it. If he is turning the place over for your whole group, they tend to do a decent job with big groups like that. There is really nothing else in that part of town where CR is so that would be a destination. If your hotel is on the west part of Allentown by any chance, there is a little strip mall near Dorney Park amusement park that has an enormous billiard hall that a lot of high school kids go to here and seems to like it. it's alcohol-free, etc.

Good luck.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

Thanks. We don't know yet where the hotels are but all groups will have a bus or van for transportation so I am not anticipating a problem with location. The billiard hall sounds interesting, too. Do you know the name so that I might contact them? I appreciate the help.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

For the billiards place, here's a Web site: http://www.gallerybilliards.com/index-1.html

It's the one in Dorneyville shopping center. There's a cool Japanese steak house place in the same strip mall that is huge -- the kind of place where they cook at your table. The kids might enjoy that as well. My daughter when in high school would often go to the billiards place w/ friends and they seemed to get a kick out of it.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
608 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

Next to the billiard hall in Dorneyville is a LAN gaming place. Any of the kids that like computer games could spend 3 hours there easily.

Coincidentally, I just visited the Japanese restaurant mentioned above just a week ago for the first time. Pretty upscale. The billard hall is huge!

Promenade shops are less then 10 minutes from my house. Very safe. The Barnes and Noble is huge and there's a nice LL Bean retail store for outdoor enthusiasts. Most kids love the selection of stores and the theatre is really nice. Well, at least my son tells me so - he's gone at least four times since it opened in December. The only things the shops are lacking are eating places. There's a Red Robin, Melt (very expensive) and a bagel place. These shops are about 12 minutes from the shopping center with billards and LAN place.

Oh, how about the Da Vinci Science Center? http://www.davinci-center.org/commfaq.html This place opened about a year ago and it's within a 1/2 mile of the shopping center in Dorneyville that has the billards hall.

There is also a big Perkins on the corner of Hamilton and Cedar Crest that would be convienent for dinner.

The one bowling alley I am familiar with in Allentown is Mountainville in South Allentown.

Croc Rock is known around here but it's not in the nicest part of town. There are a ton of colleges in and around Allentown. There are often concerts, plays, lectures that are going on every weekend.

Have a great time in the Lehigh Valley!

9. Re: Activities for teenagers on an overnight field trip??? Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 26, 2009