We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's up with Allentown?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
166 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What's up with Allentown?

I don't mean to bash this city. I'm sure it has many great things to do, many nice neighborhoods and areas, but wow...

My girlfriend and I went looking for Yocco's on W. Liberty...we had never been to Allentown before, or the Lehigh Valley in general except for Bethlehem. Yocco's didn't even look opened and even if it was I'm not sure we would have got out of the car. I live in NY and we obviously have our share of dangerous places and cities, not only in NYC, but also on Long Island; but I have to ask this question...What's up with Allentown? I was reading that many of the gangs from NYC and Philly moved to the area as police in those cities began cracking down. The Lehigh Valley is truly a beautiful place with so much history, is there any hope for Allentown? Can anyone reccomend any nice neighborhoods in the area? I don't want to let this experience paint a bad picture for me.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
619 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's up with Allentown?

Downtown Allentown is not a place I would recommend moving to right now, but there are many parts of it that are fine. The West end of Allentown starting around 21st street is fine. The very center of Allentown where Symphony Hall is, is safe. The West end has beautiful houses that are well maintained and Muhlenberg College helps keep that end up too. The area where the Iron Pigs stadium is, is fine: web.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp… Even the area where you were is not far from places that I go that I feel comfortable in. There is a wonderful grocery store, Valley Farm Market on Emmaus Avenue, that has a big variety of vegetables, delicious crab cakes and well priced meat and seafood, plus some cool PA dutch food.

The main reason I would not recommend moving to Allentown is because the schools are just not good. Is there hope for Allentown? I hope so, it needs someone with big visions and maybe political pull. Bethlehem has certainly changed itself for the better and it's so close to Allentown most people don't know when they leave one city and enter the other.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's up with Allentown?

This topic comes up a lot in conversations among my friends and family. Downtown Allentown isn't a pleasant or desirable place to be, but I don't feel too unsafe there. Then again, I went to high school downtown, I've worked downtown for several years now, my parents worked downtown for many years, and I'm used to it. Friends of mine who lived in the suburbs and never ventured into the city are terrified of it. If you're street smart, there's no reason to avoid restaurants and activities in Allentown.

In general, the crime that does exist in Allentown is gang-on-gang and drug related. If you aren't in a gang and you aren't buying or selling drugs, the chance of you being a victim in Allentown is pretty low. (Alternatively, South Bethlehem actually scares me more - and I went to college there - because criminals target students and people who aren't involved in gangs or drugs a lot more frequently than what you see in Allentown.) Allentown has become a great midpoint for gangs running drugs between NYC and Reading, PA.

As toobusy said, the West End around the Farmer's Market and Muhlenberg College isn't bad. The area around the Iron Pigs isn't terrible. One of Allentown's biggest problems is giving people good reasons to come to be in the city. There is little to do downtown right now besides the Symphony and some restaurants around Hamliton Street. The Iron Pigs games bring people in, but many people just go to the stadium and don't visit any of the bars and restaurants along Union Blvd. It would be hard to recommend specific things to see and do in Allentown without knowing more about what interests you.

Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What's up with Allentown?

Hello, we're gonna be at the holiday inn express for 3 days to go to dorney park/wild water kingdom. How's that area in relation to safety/concern?

Thank you for reading.

Coopersburg...
Destination Expert
for Allentown
Level Contributor
619 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's up with Allentown?

Dorney is in West Allentown. You'll be fine. My church is about a mile down the road and it's perfectly safe.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
348 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's up with Allentown?

Technically that's not even Allentown. No worries, dreamteam! Have a great time at Dorney!

Toronto
Level Contributor
265 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What's up with Allentown?

thank you so much. you guys are so informative. take care.

7. Re: What's up with Allentown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:33 am, June 05, 2013