We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WTF! Microtel became a Knights Inn?!?

Which Allentown hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
WTF! Microtel became a Knights Inn?!?

What are they thinking!?! I cannot believe it!

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WTF! Microtel became a Knights Inn?!?

Why can't you believe it? They are both owned by the same brand - Wyndam.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WTF! Microtel became a Knights Inn?!?

I am aware of that BUT why would the owners trade down to a Knights franchise. Microtel is a superior brand.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WTF! Microtel became a Knights Inn?!?

Probably one of three things:

They may not have qualified (could not meet standards) to be a Microtel any longer.

OR

If Microtel is a "higher" level then the franchise fees per year would also be higher. Maybe the owner could not longer afford to be a Microtel.

OR (and what I think is most probable)

There is a lot of competition in filling rooms in the mid price range hotels right around that area whereas there are not many "lower" priced choices. Survival of the fittest ala lodging.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WTF! Microtel became a Knights Inn?!?

I could understand that business concept IF their prices went down after the conversion to a Knights, yet they stayed the same. I understand that they could have been enticed by lower franchise/royalty fees but on the other hand the Microtel brand pulls better than Knights...OR it could have been the franchise was up (15 yrs - they opened on May 6, 1993) and they decided to go another route.

5. Re: WTF! Microtel became a Knights Inn?!?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, March 15, 2010