We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

I will coming to Ashland within the next month or so to see about possibly moving there.

I have been researching the internet to find out more about housing (I would start out renting) and what sections might be best for me to focus on. I am 53 and would prefer and 2-3 bedroom house.

There are a number of hotels and B & B's that I found on the internet to stay at when I visit, and they all seemed fairly close to the center of town. Any recommendations are appreciated. I do not want to spend much on accomodations, as I want to conserve my money for the move.

What is the best source for house hunting?

Thanks!

Rhonda

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

TripAdivsor has been closing down threads that ask about relocation, so don't be surprised if that happens. A good website for that kind of info is www.city-data.com as they have forums that are pretty much geared to just that. I would recommend contacting a realtor to get info as well.

As far as hotels to stay at and that type of info, this is a great place. I can't help as I have only stayed with friends down there, but there are a few posters here who live in the area. Hopefully they will see this and can help out:)

Medford, Oregon
Level Contributor
763 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

I live in Medford, which is 15 miles from Ashland. Ashland is not that large and while there are some neighborhoods with slightly different characters there are not really any particularly bad neighborhoods in Ashland. Not knowing what your budget is, I would like to mention that Ashland has the highest housing cost in the Rogue Valley. You may want to consider Talent or Phoenix which are right next to Ashland.

I live here so can't comment on any hotels or B&B's but will be happy to help with restaurant suggestions when needed.

Level Contributor
36,388 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

We usually stay at the Ashland Springs Hotel or the Ashland Plaza Inn & Suites. If these are out of your budget, check out the La Quinta, it is right off of the freeway. There is also the Bard's Inn, right across from the Plaza which is less expensive, you will be walking distance to the shops and restaurants here. There are so many great places to eat in Ashalnd, something for every budget. For fine dining, we like Chateaulin or the Peerless Hotel. Beasey's o the Creek is very good and not too pricey. There is also the Ashland Bakery & Cafe for some good casual food. Quinz is nice for Mediterranean food, they make some great Swedish meatballs there. Hope this helps and good luck, Ashland is a very cool little town with so much culture and charm. :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

<< Quinz is nice for Mediterranean food, they make some great Swedish meatballs there.>.

What sort of Mediterranean dishes do they make? Considering Sweden is a bit far from the Mediterranean lol...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

I wish I could say we've stayed here; http://www.irisinnbb.com/index2.html. It was hard not to notice Iris Inn when we were walking through neighborhoods last time in Ashland. It's just so inviting. And since it's further from the center of town than most of what's been recommended, maybe it fits better into your budget.

I had meatballs when we were at Quinz, too, syrahgirl. Since it's a Mediterranean restaurant, I don't think they were Swedish, though. ;-) Maybe Morroccan???

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

I have stayed at the Shrew's House B&B several times. It's a small place and the proprieter is very friendly. The food is very good. It is within walking distance of Lithia Park and the Shakespeare Center.

We like to go to Brothers for breakfast. Greenleaf is very good, and there is also a good sandwich shop across the creek (Big Town Hero).

The Beanery (other end of the main drag - a good bike ride) has excellent coffee and snacks.

You might find more reasonably-priced rentals near the college.

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
449 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

Quinz no more. Ashland cafe opens again around Feb. 19. Good food. Brothers and Ashland cafe for breaky. Evo's and K of C for coffee. Stayed at Iris Inn about 2 years ago. Nice place.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

Hi crystalcave!

How long has Quinz been gone? Thanks for posting :)

ashland, oregon
Level Contributor
449 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

Not long, maybe few months. Owner, Quinz, sold and is now concentrating solely on Alexes upstairs. Crystalcave sounds good too, but its crystalcove. By the way, Portland becoming one of my favorite cities to visit.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting with possible intention to move to Ashland

Ha! forgive me, Crystalcovebum...I read too fast :)

Yes, Portland is one of my favorite cities too.