We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family places to stay

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Family places to stay

Hi, We are a family of four that enjoys a place with character, a B&B, or historic hotel that welcomes teenagers. Any ideas?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family places to stay

I have stayed at Shrew's House with my son (11). There are a couple of different room options there, depending on your preferences. The breakfast there is AWESOME and they are happy to cater to kids' tastes.

It is recently under new ownership. The new owners have been making a few changes and they are all good. We will go back next year!

Level Contributor
35,461 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family places to stay

The Ashland Springs Hotel is a historic hotel right in downtown Ashland that is nice. We also like the Plaza Inn & Suites, they have nice rooms with sofa beds here, there are PBJ's & cookies i the evenings and nice views of the creek, also a hot tub here, some rooms have jacuzzi tubs. We just stayed in a Queen Spa Room with our daughter and her girlfriend, this worked out very nicely, there are also pretty spacious bathrooms here.

If you are in Ashland around 7:15, don't miss the Green Show which is free entertainment before the plays begin in town. Have fun! :)

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family places to stay

Thanks...what about plays? What did your kids enjoying seeing this season?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family places to stay

We saw "As You Like It" and "On the Razzle" with my son. I also saw "The Cherry Orchard" but that was pretty heavy and I am glad he didn't go to that one (he wouldn't have enjoyed it).

He LOVED "On the Razzle". It is really funny and the story is easy to follow. You can tell the actors are having fun too. :)

"As You Like It" was his first Shakespeare. (We went to the festival last year too, but only saw non-Shakespeare plays that time.) He liked it too, but it was a little tough at first. I think most people spend the first 20 minutes of a Shakespeare play somewhat lost - so we prepared by making sure he knew what was going to happen and set the stage for him. He was really excited by the wrestling match. We attended a workshop about Shakespeare and the Preface for the play - I think that was helpful too. It's an excellent production. (Here's a link to information about the prefaces: http://www.osfashland.org/education/playgoers_activities.aspx#preface)

Unfortunately the Elizabethan theater was not open for the season yet. We did watch some rehearsals for the green show and it looks like that will be enjoyable too.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family places to stay

By the way, though I haven't seen it I have heard that this year's production of "Romeo & Juliet" (in the Elizabethan theater outside) is excellent. :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family places to stay

Hey fiveforfun,

Is As You Like It done in a contemporary or period setting? It's one of the two on our list for when we're there later this fall. The Green Show is definitely worth the price of admission (it's free!), but best show up early, and have a blanket with you to sit on the lawn. Performances are usually pretty entertaining.

I wouldn't agree that the Plaza Inn & Suites has the character you're looking for. It's pretty much a cookie-cutter hotel along the lines of a Marriott Fairfield Inn. We stayed there with our teenage daughter a couple years ago and found that it is good for families. But I doubt we'll stay there again. We've got rooms booked at Ashland Creek Inn for our stay this fall. Beautiful european-styled hotel in a tranquil setting on the creek, and still right in the middle of town. Don't know how welcoming they are of teenagers though.

syrahgirl, one of these times you should stick around Ashland long enough to see a play.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family places to stay

"As You Like It" is set in the Depression. As far as the period went... my thought was "meh!" It really only affects the parts of the play outside the forest, and then it's timeless really.

Jeff Cummings is outstanding as "Oliver" (the evil brother). He is one of my favorite actors at OSF and it was really fun to see him play a villain. (He was also "Jack" in "The Importance of Being Earnest" last year.)

8. Re: Family places to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, September 05, 2009