We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Book On TripAdvisor Bonus Book your hotel on TripAdvisor — then save 20% on things to do for your trip. Use code BOOKTOSAVE.

Hotel

Which Akron hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
Hotel

Hey everyone, I am traveling from Syracuse New York to Fort Knox Kentucky next week. I figure the half way point is around Akron Ohio. I was wondering if anyone can suggest a Safe,resonabley price Hotel that has free breakfast and is east to get back on the high way. I would appreciate the help. I am traveling alone so it is very important for the place to be in a SAFE neighborhood.

Thanks again

Tammytigger

6 replies to this topic
Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Hotel

Are you taking I-90 to I-271 to I-71?

The only hotel that I can vouch for that meets your requirements is the Best Western Plus in Mentor, Ohio. It's an hour north of the intersection of I-271 and I-77, just north of Akron. It's located less than five minutes north of the route 615 exit of I-90. If you stay there, ask for a second floor room as some of the first floor rooms are pet friendly. It receives very good TA reviews.

A half hour further south, off I-271, there are many hotels in the Beachwood area. Beachwood is an upscale suburb of Cleveland and an area of corporate headquarters.

If you wanted to take I-77 south off I-271, the Fairlawn area of Akron is an upscale suburb with several hotels. You would take Route 18 east from Fairlawn to get back on I-71.

One other option is to take I-71 through Cleveland and don't use I-271. This route may be a little shorter than I-271. After you pass through Cleveland and cross the Innerbelt bridge, take route 176 (Jennings Freeway) south to I-480. Head west on I-480 to Tiedeman Road. The Hampton Inn Airport in Brooklyn is at that intersection and would meet your needs. There are several restaurants there.

You then would head further west on I-480 to rejoin I-71. This detour would not cost you more than a few minutes in time and would put you a half hour closer to Fort Knox than Mentor.

Good luck!

Syracuse
Level Contributor
3 posts
71 reviews
2. Re: Hotel

What about if I stopped in Columbus instead? Is there any reasonable hotels right off the highway?

I am heading from syracuse ny to fort knox kentucky. The directions i am following is 71 south thru ohio.

Thanks

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Hotel

In Columbus, look at the many hotels in the Polaris area of northern Columbus. It's a commercial and retail center (Polaris Fashion Place) with many hotels off I-71.

The Polaris area would be about 3 hours south of Mentor, 2 1/2 hours south of Beachwood, etc., depending upon how fast you were to drive.

See tourism partners here for a list of hotels:

www.polarisfashionplace.com/info/information

Columbus has bad rush hours on I-71 and currently there are some major construction projects underway.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Hotel

If you are a AAA member, don't forget to check for discounts.

Canton, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Garden City Beach, Surfside Beach
Level Contributor
3,024 posts
205 reviews
5. Re: Hotel

Hi Tammytigger,

I travel often for work and use http://www.priorityclub.com to help find hotels...

If you are looking for a nice area with shopping in the evening and some nice places to eat, Polaris is probably your best place to stop for the night.

I have stayed in here priorityclub.com/hotels/…hoteldetail in Polaris before and it was a nice clean hotel, but I don't recall if they had free breakfast.

Most holiday inn express's are clean and they all have free breakfast.

Here is one in Polaris but I haven't stayed at this one: priorityclub.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Hotel

I didn't know there was a new Holiday Inn Express at Polaris. It would be a good choice.

Reply to: Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted