We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do with children

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
what to do with children

I will be visiting Akron (actually staying near Uniontown) in two weeks with my daughter-in-law and 3 grandchildren...ages 10, 7 and 4, all boys. (Their dad will be attending a conference.)

We plan to go to the zoo. Would you suggest Akron or Cleveland? What else is in Akron that they might enjoy?

Any suggestions on places to eat that are family friendly?

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
338 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do with children

I would personally suggest the Cleveland Zoo. It's much bigger than Akron and has a rain forest, and I think it's better.

If they like baseball you could go to an Akron Aeros baseball game. The Aeros are the AA Affiliate for the Cleveland Indians and tickets are only $10 (akronaeros.com for schedule). Akron also has the Inventors hall of fame, Canton has the football hall of fame.

ohio
Level Contributor
211 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do with children

I second go to Cleveland for the zoo. My nephew and niece live in Akron and I was talking about coming to visit them and seeing the inventors hall of fame museum, they informed me it is closed. They sugested Hale farm. I've never been so can't elaborate but you might want to check that out. Also in Canton is the Football Hall of Fame. I've never been, my dh took my son earlier this year. He said it was o.k., my son said he enjoyed it.

Heidi

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do with children

Thnak you for your replies. We plan to do an Aeros game and the Football Hall of Fame. I will try to give a trip report when we return.

Green, Ohio
Level Contributor
21 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do with children

There is no doubt the Cleveland Zoo is much larger than the Akron Zoo, however, the Akron Zoo allows you a much more up-close & personal experience. The Akron Zoo is truly one of the areas most valuable assets. We visit the zoo several times a year; you can spend an entire afternoon or only a few hours. At any given time you can be less than a foot from a bear, tiger or lion, and the new jellyfish exhibit is absolutely amazing. Yes, definitely, the Cleveland Zoo is a great attraction but if you are visiting Akron, give the Akron Zoo a try, you won't be disappointed.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what to do with children

snowflake...we ended up going to the akron zoo. Decided fighting the traffic to Cleveland wasn't worth it, plus we had to drop off and pick up the boys' dad since rhe hotel was 8 miles from the conference denter. They loved being so close. I'll write a whole trip report after we return. Thanks to everyone!!!

6. Re: what to do with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:23 am, October 05, 2009