We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

***** traffic and other stuff info help on the OBX

Ft Myers, Fl
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
***** traffic and other stuff info help on the OBX

Here it is Tuesday and I’m still trying to figure out the best way on to Avon, NC. Reading the forums here about the traffic making me adjust my travel times and routes. We will be leaving Ft Myers, Florida, Friday about 3 pm. Were not scheduled to check in until Saturday at 4pm. The plan was to drive all the way thru maybe ????? If there were no traffic going I 95 to 64 to the coast would have been the fastest. The other option would be getting off I 95 at Lumberton to Wilmington and taking the coast all the way up including the two ferry’s which add on about 3.5 hours of time.???? I would prefer to go out of my way to avoid stop n go traffic. But, would the southern route also be congested as the northern route going on to the islands? How about time of day arriving?? If we get into the area after 11pm Friday night going in either direction, how would traffic be? I know the ferry’s prolly don’t run that late but we can sit and wait if we must. I have the ferry schedules somewhere, I’ll look later.

We are also trailering our Jeep up along with us to enjoy driving on the beaches and sightseeing. What kind of fee’s will there be? And where do we go for passes?

Please any advice from your past experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much. TJ

Kite Club Hatteras
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Kinnakeet Clay Studio & Showroom
Art Galleries, Gift & Specialty Shops
Tightlinez Charters
Boat Tours, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Fishing Charters & Tours
Kitty Hawk, North...
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ***** traffic and other stuff info help on the OBX

Southern route is not at all bad, don't worry.

Ft Myers, Fl
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ***** traffic and other stuff info help on the OBX

I'm thinking about stopping in Charleston,SC for the night about midnight. then traveling up the coast on Rt 17 heading to Cedar Island to catch the Ferry. Good, bad ?? traffic? going thru all those little towns???? Saturday morning, early.....

Is there some place to just pull over around Charleston and nap in the truck? I'll just need a few hours to recharge and get a super early start to avoid traffic...

Ft Myers, Fl
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ***** traffic and other stuff info help on the OBX

so you are suggesting we take the southern route along the coast thru the little towns and over the ferry's? I'd like the senic routes!!!

Ft Myers, Fl
Level Contributor
36 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ***** traffic and other stuff info help on the OBX

Back from the fantastic trip from the OBX. Great time! Can't wait to go back.... We did take the road less traveled, the southern route over the two ferries. It was relaxing to ride on the ferries and not worry about driving. I napped on the way home for 2 hours on the Okracoke to Cedar Island.

going south we took I 95 to a little over the GA SC border to where I-17 heads east to Charleston. 17 to 24 to 70 right to the Cedar Island Ferry. We stopped at 3:30 am in Wilmimgton, NC for 4.5 hours of sleep. Called ahead to the ferry for reservations, got there 2 hours early and got on the 1 pm ferry for early departure. If your hauling a trailer make sure that you state that, they only allow so many vehicles with trailers on each trip. Reserve early if you can The North bound trip was 805 miles. The traffic thru all those coast towns was not bad at all compared to what I heard from the family traveling south from DE.Bumper to bumper for a couple of hours in flooded roads. Going home we did the ferry route but I tried what I thought might be a quicker return route to I-95 via route 24 all the way north west up to 40, north west to 95. This turned out to be about 50 miles longer (858) and seemed like forever to travel. I would take the coast route next time both ways.

5. Re: ***** traffic and other stuff info help on the OBX

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, June 17, 2014