We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How's the weather?

Brook Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
How's the weather?

My husband and I are researching places for our 30th anniversary trip this summer. We'd love to stay on the Atlantic Coast, but I have 2 questions:

1. We are looking to travel within the last 10 days of July. What are the temps - the highs - and the level of humidity along the coast?

1. What are the chances of hurricanes coming up the coast then? Traditionally like in the last 5 years?

6 replies to this topic
Southport, North...
Level Contributor
373 posts
162 reviews
1. Re: How's the weather?

Weather.com can give you average temperatures, but I can tell you that summer on the coast is hot and humid. (90++ with about 90 percent humidity) Hurricanes don't normally arrive before late August. I've been here awhile and there have been none in July.

Brook Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
2. Re: How's the weather?

Thank you for your response! I was afraid it would be that hot and humid. This information WILL help us make our decision.

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
24 reviews
3. Re: How's the weather?

There is usually a decent breeze and you can always jump in the water to cool off. When the latter ceased to appeal to me, I started looking west to the mountains. Check out Blowing Rock and Boone. They are a little closer too, if you are driving from Ohio

Brook Park, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: How's the weather?

No, not driving. We're definitely going to fly if we come to North Carolina. I chose the shore first because I'm a beach addict. Not so much with the mountains. Thanks for your input and suggestions!

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
22 reviews
5. Re: How's the weather?

there is no normal weather anymore. typically the major storms (hurricanes) occur mid-august through mid-october but in recent years there have been a few early and late storms. They have not been too intense and pass by quickly, with little interruption for vacationers. Temperature and humidity can change by the block and wind direction. At or near the beach you should have a nice cooling wind but a short distance inshore it can be hot.. but not oppressively hot like other places. I would guess nirmal hghs to be mid to upper 80's and nights to be 72-74.

Southport, North...
Level Contributor
373 posts
162 reviews
6. Re: How's the weather?

Glad others mentioned the usual breeze off the water but with high humidity it can still be uncomfortable. Full disclosure: hot, humid weather bothers me more than most people down here.

Reply to: How's the weather?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Atlantic Beach