We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

2 posts
Save Topic
Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

My husband, 10 month old, and I are traveling to Atlantic Beach for the first time and I want to know the "must dos" in the area during this time. We've taken our daughter on couple mile mountainous hikes and we're not afraid to take our baby to restaurants/public places(lol) so don't let that limit your recommendations.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

The NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. Fort Macon park in AB. Beaufort is interesting, including the Maritime Museum and old homes tour. There is also a very old cemetery there with some interesting gravesites. NC Waterfowl Museum in Harkers Island (prob. 40 min drive or so). Of course most activities of usual tourists are warm water based but there is still some things to occupy your time. A drive south through Emerald Isle and Swansboro may be interesting as well.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
9,656 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

Ben may know if these are seasonal, but you could look into going to Shackleford Banks to see wild ponies and Cape Lookout Lighthouse. Both will require hiring a private ferry and not sure if they run in the winter.

2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

Thanks!

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
1,479 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

If you have a nice day, and a stroller you might want to check out Beacons Reach in Pine Knoll Shores. Park at the tennis courts and walk down around the marina and back. There are also a couple of nice walkways along and out into the sound. For a nice beach walk I would suggest starting at The Circle then heading east toward Fort Macon, or west toward the Coral Bay Club.the latter runs parallel to Ocean Ridge which is another good choice for a stroller. The Morehead waterfront is also worth a stop on you way to Beaufort. Two nice, family friendly restaurants are Tony' Sanitary, an institution, and Ruddy Duck, one of my favorites.

north carolina
Level Contributor
1,273 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

I may be mistaken but I think the Cape Lookout Seashore is closed from around Thanksgiving to sometime in February. I was in Beaufort yesterday and so no activities on the waterfront as far as ferries. The weather has been gorgeous lately, hope you have fun!

6. Re: Staying dec 26th- jan 2nd. - top attractions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, July 17, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Atlantic Beach