We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm Coming to Atlantic Beach, NC

Which Atlantic Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Haven, CT
1 post
Save Topic
I'm Coming to Atlantic Beach, NC

I heard the beaches are great, but is there anything to do, besides going fishing? I am coming at the of May 2006

Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm Coming to Atlantic Beach, NC

Atlantic Beach becomes a hot spot in the summer. I used to live in Atlantic Beach, Indian Beach, Morehead City and in Beaufort. When summer vacations get going, it can get crowded. Several things I would recommend, depending on your budget...

1. Visit Ft. Macon State Park. You can do a self-guided tour, and they have little buttons you press at each of the displays to hear a taped audio presentation. Old civil war fort, and its a neat way to spend a few hours. Here is URL about it. www.crystalcoast.com/fortmacon/ Scroll down and click the "More Area Attractions" link near the bottom of the page. It can give you some further possibilities.

2. Head down to the Beaufort waterfront. One of the individuals killed when the space shuttle blew up (the first one) was from Beaufort, and they have a little plaque you will see as you walk along the dock on the waterfront. Several good resturants in the area. It's an OLD (colonial times) town, and plenty of history.

3. If you drive out along the beach from Atlantic Beach to Pine Knoll Shores, there is an aquarium out there that is pretty interesting, and also has a display about the hurricanes that have hit that area, along with old photos, etc...

4. If you want to take a little longer trip (maybe an hour or so), I would HIGHLY recommend visiting Tryon Palace in New Bern. The old Governor's mansion and other buildings are restored, just as they were in colonial times. They do tours, and the people are in period costumes. BTW - their Christmas tours are AWESOME. In summer, they have gardens planted and the whole area is beautiful.

5. Take an evening cruise. The Captain Stacey Fishing Center (just over the Atlantic Beach Bridge on the left) generally runs regular evening cruises in the summer... at least they used to. They are inexpensive, and fun. They talk about different things you will see as you cruise around the waterfront, and talk about the wild ponies out on Shackleford Banks that have been there since colonial times and are now protected. Not sure what time of year these cruises start, but you might be timing it just about right.

6. Plenty of night life. There are major hotels in the area, and most all of them have lounges. Often there is various live entertainment in several of them. Also, a variety of clubs down on the circle.

7. Visit Cape Lookout if you can. Here is a little known but interesting tidbit. The painting of that lighthouse was probably the first government contract SNAFU in history. The same contractor was hired to paint 2 lighthouses that were newly built - the one at Cape Lookout, and the one up by Cape Hatteras at Diamond Shoals. They did a fine job on both projects... with one small mistake. They got the 2 lighthouses mixed up and painted the diamonds on the one at Cape Lookout, while painting the strips on the one at Diamond Shoals. They got paid anyway, and since the mariners who needed these lighthouses might get confused by having them repainted and swapping the patterns, they were just left as it was. They have carried those patterns ever since.

8. And, of course, there is the beach. You are a little early for the annual beach music festival, but the beach is ALWAYS a good time. There is public access at a number of locations. You can go out right by the clubs that are on the circle, but I always like to go down by Ft. Macon. When you come over the bridge, go all the way down to the traffic light at the circle, then make a left. Just follow that road to the end. It eventually dead ends at Ft. Macon.

Well, these are just a few suggestions. The Crystal Coast is a neat place to spend time and I'm sure you will have fun.

UK
Level Contributor
176 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm Coming to Atlantic Beach, NC

WOW! Very informative!

helped me out too. I am visiting from the UK, 5 wks on Monday - preying the sun shines.

Staying at the Sheraton which i'm hoping is ok, the reviews on here aren't all that good.

Get answers to your questions about Atlantic Beach