We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which lighthouse to see?

MN
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
which lighthouse to see?

We are visiting the OBX in early June... wondering which of the several lighthouses to visit? Which of the ones you can climb to the top of is most worth the admission (we are a family of five). Thanks much!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
102 posts
235 reviews
1. Re: which lighthouse to see?

I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I have climbed the Cape Hattaras lighthouse and Currituck also, both are pretty neat. The one in Ocracoke is not open but one day a year. Here's a URL for more info on OBX lighthouses: http://www.outer-banks.com/lighthouses.asp

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
44 reviews
2. Re: which lighthouse to see?

kazz, I think most would recommend the Hatteras light as it is the tallest and most recognizable. And if you're coming from the north, you'll go right by the Bodie Island light to get to Hatteras. So I'd definitely plan on visiting both, but you can't climb the Bodie light.

Onley, Va
Level Contributor
492 posts
9 reviews
3. Re: which lighthouse to see?

When we visited 2 years ago, we visited ALL of them :)

Love lighthouses, we enjoyed Currituck the most - because you can climb to the top. Unlike other lighthouses we have visited when you get to the top you can go outside and walk around.

Ashburn, VA
Destination Expert
for Outer Banks
Level Contributor
423 posts
4. Re: which lighthouse to see?

Whichever one you pick, I would suggest visiting early in the day. Later in the day, the lines for Currituck can get long and the inside of the lighthouse itself can get pretty hot in the summer.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
102 posts
235 reviews
5. Re: which lighthouse to see?

Just visited the Cape Lookout lighhouse, and it is not open for cliimbing right now. Even before they discovered the staircase needed work, it was only open for climbing a few days a year, according to the volunteer docent. There is a lighthouse keeper's museum and giftshop open though.

6. Re: which lighthouse to see?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, October 20, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Atlantic Beach