We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bud41 & others "What's the Best Way to the Zoo in Asheboro?"

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Bud41 & others "What's the Best Way to the Zoo in Asheboro?"

Hey there!

Need advice....we will be headed to Asheboro, NC (zoo) in a couple of weeks. I need to know which way you would go (starting point Tega Cay/Fort Mill area)?

Thanks in advance!

oh...and any stand out places to eat?

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
1. Re: Bud41 & others "What's the Best Way to the Zoo in Asheboro?"

tega, I'd just take 77 to 85 and exit onto 49 . Take 49 all the way to Asheboro and then follow the signs to the zoo. You could skirt Charlotte by taking 77 to 485 and zip over to 49 that way - not a bad route - I think mileage wise it's about the same- maybe a little more. It really depends on the day of the week and the time of day.

Unless there is something new in Asheboro, it's mostly chains for eating. They used to have a decent cafeteria but I think it's closed. If I wanted a really good meal and time to veer off the route a little, I'd go over to Albemarle to the Yadkin Valley Steak House. I've always enjoyed eating there. Not much between here and the zoo - it's the Uwharrie Forest, you know.

Best wishes.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Bud41 & others "What's the Best Way to the Zoo in Asheboro?"

As always Bud41 :o) thank you for your help!

Take care!

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Bud41 & others "What's the Best Way to the Zoo in Asheboro?"

Just got back from Asheboro, NC

We had a fantastic time at the NC Zoo in Asheboro, NC (we arrived at the zoo on Saturday, right at opening). Though it was a little chilly for the first hour or so (mid. November)...it did not take us long to warm up. We felt as though we had the whole zoo to ourselves as there were not many people there. I would not hesitate to go this time of year again to avoid the heat of summer and crowds.

We relied on the comments on this site on where to rest our heads at night. I must say the folks on these boards are right on the money. The Hampton Inn in Asheboro, NC was excellent and very, very clean. They also had nice rooms, comfy beds and pillows, outdoor pool, a jacuzzi, sauna, and even an indoor pool which we put to alot of good use). The hotel is a quick drive over to the zoo (at most 10 minutes).

The best meal we had during our stay was (hands down) American Roadhouse. This again was from advice that I had taken from this Asheboro forum. Oh my gosh!...we had everything from Steak, Crab, Shrimp and even Fettucini Alfredo...and it was all outstanding. Don't expect fancy here...just expect down home service and out of this world cooking.

NC
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
1 review
4. Re: Bud41 & others "What's the Best Way to the Zoo in Asheboro?"

Good report - thanks.

5. Re: Bud41 & others "What's the Best Way to the Zoo in Asheboro?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 25, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Asheboro