We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros or Lira

Which Turgutreis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pie eater in wigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Euros or Lira

Hi, off on hols in 4 weeks. after last years hol, in kusadasi,I remember alot of items priced in euros. Although Lira was accepted to. I can't remember what the deal was. think it was 1 euro = 2 lira or 5 euro = 10 lira etc. Being the money saving expert i think i am ( also known as TIGHT). I want to get the most of the exchange rate. I.E my £1 will get me 1.20euro or 2.75lira ish. so even if i get charged 2.50 lira for my purchase i still save 25 lira pence, meaning every pound i spend i save about 10 pence, hence every £10 makes me a pound, yipee free icecream for the kids.

NOW, can anyone please tell me if Im I right or wrong???

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros or Lira

Mate if I understood even half of all that I'd be able to answer you :o)

By the time I'd done all that calculation the rate would have changed 3 times ;-)

btw lira 'pence' are kurus pronounced kurush

pie eater in wigan
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros or Lira

Hi, sorry i was so long winded.

what I'm asking is, if something is priced at 6 euros, but only have lira, do I double the price to 12 lira.

Thanks

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros or Lira

Don't change sterling into euros in the UK as you will pay commission. Just change £50 - £100 into lira, and take the rest in sterling, then change to lira in Turgutreis.

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,576 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros or Lira

Best thing to do when you're there, ask how much in sterling and how much in lira and then do your own comparison. In places they are still saying 25 lira or £10 in which case it's cheaper to pay in lira (as you are getting around 28 lira for your £10). Don't be bothering with euro - just stick to sterling or lira.

Jak xx

Scotland
Level Contributor
736 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros or Lira

With you all the way mate, guess it's a "guy" thing, but going with the wife and 2 female teenagers, it would just be tooooo complicated. I reckon I'll just take the "hit" this time, grimace/cringe/bite my tongue, and make more use of the A/I drink when back lol!

Regards

Arthur

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euros or Lira

In turkey at moment for £1 you get 2.74 lira for 1 euro you get 2.2 lira hope this helps. We live in turgutreis most summers and always pay in lira, we have generally found that if you pay in euros they give you change in lira always in their favour. Have a lovely holiday.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
284 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euros or Lira

where is best place to change sterling to lira

London
Level Contributor
20 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euros or Lira

You will get the best rates in the banks. There are lots of banks mainly in the main road running from the mosque towards Bodrum or go to the Garanti bank in the marina. All the bank staff speak English.

Kadikale, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Turgutreis
Level Contributor
3,532 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euros or Lira

Also check the rate at the post office (PTT) near the market square on a side road, you'll see yellow signs with PTT on them around the area.

10. Re: Euros or Lira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 am, August 21, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Turgutreis
More Turgutreis Topics