We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency advise please?

Bristol
2 posts
Save Topic
Currency advise please?

Hello, Me and the other half are going to Ortakent in June (Can't friggin wait either as never been to Turkey). I was always planning to take Lira with me however a friend of mine has said that shops / bars etc prefer Euro or Dollar. Is this true? Or do I just take the Lira? Thank you x

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency advise please?

No,you have been a bit wrongly informed.Businesses are happy to accept whatever currency you have and,as you are coming from the UK that will be sterling.

However you will still need some local currency whilst here for small purchases such as icecreams,bus fares,ciggies,newspapers,bottle of water etc. etc.But don't bring it with you wait until you get here and then just change up your sterling as you need to into Turkish lira because the exchange rate is always much better here than in the UK.All shops and bars will change money for you in addition to change offices and banks.

Ortakent is lovely and will be a great introduction to Turkey for you.BTW,don't forget you will need a crisp ten pound note in each passport to pay for your visa on arrival at the .Enjoy!

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency advise please?

Sari's right, the exchange rate is better over there - I just got back from there today and the exchange rate in Bodrum was 2.85 (it's been much better this year than the last few years). Take sterling with you and change money as and when you need it.

Jak xx

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency advise please?

Concur with both previous posters.Change your money over there NOT before you go.

Ortakent is a nice resort, and well positioned to explore the rest of the Bodrum peninsula if you so wish.Enjoy!

Bristol
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency advise please?

Thank you very much for all your advice.

I didn't know abaout the Visa thing... so greatly appreciated. Can't wait :-)

Swindon
Level Contributor
103 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency advise please?

Do you recommed taking Sterling and changing it, or just withdrawing Turkish from the ATM's?

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency advise please?

Well, if you take sterling, you will see what rate you are getting on the street - but may have to pay for a safety deposit box for security.

You will get a better rate withdrawing lira from the ATM but it will then depend on what your bank charges - may be worth looking into.

Jak xx

7. Re: Currency advise please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 24, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Ortakent
Recent Conversations