We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Back

Well back from another lovely 2 weeks in gumbet, especially to the wonderful people who we meet year in year out.

Weather, glorious as ever.

Tosunoglu apts, basic, but massive apts, good location, bar area bleak and no atmosphere, but ok for a base, but I do think there is better out there for the same price.

Meals, had some nice meals.

Carpdiem -, was starting out to be our best, on the beach lovely setting, until a cockaroach infestion started, as quite a few came out of the floor. Quick exit.

Family door - didn't like it the last 2 times I went, and this time it was worse, service is very poor, no organisation in starters coming out, drinks odd, tia maria was disgusting and even bar staff agreed.

Café de Colombia - nice steak cooked well.

Uncle festers - best meal of the holiday, had the uncle festers speicail,

Jasmin garden, had the stew in a clay pot, couldn't describe it as anything less, lol, ok but a bit bland. Breakfasts are great here though.

Captains bar and grill, had sunday lunch here, it was lovely especially the apple pie for deserts, but beware the portions are not massive, there was a small scoop of mash and 1 roast potato, but what we did get was nice.

China town, nice meal.

Lemon tree (bitez) nice average food, but good views of the bay from the roof top, especially when the fireworks are going off.

McDonalds, did a call out one night....lol when we'd had a few too many voddies.

Pappas kebabs, had one on a night home, lovely.

Bars we didn't venture any further up than lmt bar, which was far enough for us, spent our nights in happy bar pub, when we did go out.

What did we do.

2 all inc boat trips for 50 Turkish lira they were excellent, but they are run by out friend so we are a bit biased.

Day out at Bietz at the lemon tree, wouldn't go anywhere else...lol

Went to Bodrum for the night, went earlyish, did a bit of shopping, and watched the sun go down on the beach from the moonlight bar.

did a bit of shopping, bought a few bags, slippers, converse, vans, t-shirts, all good value but you do have to barter.

We found gumbet to be much quitter from previous years, and this has now taken to more hassle on the street, it is relentless. And I object to someone picking me up off the street and carrying me into a bar, this happened in bar street and we was just walking down it from having a meal at china town.

We think that Gumbet has changed and not for the better, on 2 occasions we was followed home, by a white car, that cruised along the side of us, and this was when there was 6 of us.

also one night when walking along in 2's one of the couples were approached by 2 men who asked them to go for a walk with them.

This side of gumbet is becoming more common, and we felt less safe this year than others, Bar street according to a couple of girls who went at night, is more full of Turkish men than tourists, so much that they stopped going out, and stayed with us.

Good points

Weather of course

Cheap effes at uncle festers

meeting up with old friends English and Turkish.

The lovely handbags

Bad points

The hassle has gone worse

The feeling of being unsafe when walking home.

Being picked up off the street and carried into a full bar.

Would we go again next year, probably because we've met some lovely friends there, who we love to meet up with each year, but we would do it for the days round the pool, boat trips, and the nights at the pool bar with the friends we had made.

If we was just going back for a holiday as 4 women it would be a no no.

Swansea
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back

Thanks for your post Claire, very helpful for me as a 1st timer, we go on the 26th Sept.. Can you let me know which boat trip you did? I have been recommended to go on Harrys Boat up to now.

I also saw your post earlier in the week about Carpdiem. I was looking to visit the place until I saw your comments. I would have freaked massively & you would not have seen me for dust!

Did you pay for Air con whilst you were there or what is cool enough at night ?

I have saved your post so can refer to it whilst I am in Gumbet.

Thanks again Bridge

england
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back

no probs bridge,, and don't forget the windy bay rest for a very good steak,,and the pounds still looking good. http://www.garanti.com.tr/en

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back

Hi Claire, your thoughts on Gumbet are quite similar to mine. The hassle is not banter any more, in fact some of it is verging on the downright obnoxious. Bar Street - definitely more Turkish men hanging round outside the bars and a much worse feeling of "cattle market" than ever before.

But as you say, the weather is great and it's so nice to return and meet up with old friends. I won' be visiting for long periods any more but will still go for the odd week to see people.

Jak xx

Spalding, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back

such a shame.

but as said,nice to see old friends,Sait from Sandys being the best one :)

luckily we hardly venture onto bar street,so no worries ther and with the Dilek being close to everything,hopefully no problems with being followed this year.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back

We are lucky as we do, avoid bar street, and i'm so glad we do.

LMT was really quiet this year, and it's one of the bars we don't mind, but we would much rather go ali babas karaoke, and memories is ok, then happy days is the best for us.

Last Saturday morning whilst out shopping we went to our favourite shoe shop and got what we wanted, then we went to Atlantis for a beer, over the road from Atlantis is 2 bag shops, both advertising bags for £10, so we decided that we would go into both, whilst looking at them, we went into the one on the right when looking, omg world war 3 broke out, we walked into shop and the guy who owns the shop on the left caused a riot, he was shouting at the guy who owned the shop we was in, but it was our decision to walk into this 1st then we would have done his, so much that the guy in the 2nd shop started fing and blinding at the guy who's shop we was in.

We bought bags and purses, but because of the hassle we left the bag shop next door............we don't need that, btw both had nice bags for £10

forgot to say my mate had her eyebrows tattooed whilst there, at the beauty parlour opposite atlantis bar, we'd seen someone else have them done and they was nice, (not what i'd want) but when you've not got them and never had them I do have to say for £100 (cheaper than over here) they are lovely, the girl was great she drew different designs on paper, then transferred them onto my friends face to see if they suited her, then they chose a colour, a light brown. she was very happy with them.

I had a pedicure here for £7. well worth it.

@bridgethemidge, our boat trip is with a friend of ours, and we book him private, but I've heard glowing resorts about harrys boat and you won't be disappointed.

As for carpdiem, the food and location is wonderful, but what happened was a little off putting, but I suppose it could just be a one off.

I do wish i'd managed to get to petes place I've heard it's excellent, friends of ours did.

I actually brought stock cubes home cost me 65cents for 12 from soc, so that's about 25p a pack....................rofl...............

I've just priced up next year, I knew we would

manchester
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back

how much were the vans and converse , and did you buy in gumbet or bodrum

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back

Bought the converse and vans for 25 tl...............was advertised at 30tl but he gave me them for 25tl, most places wanted them for 50tl for them.

It's a small shop, near memories bar, to the left of it, I got

maroon converse shoes

pink babies converse boots, that light up at the bottom

babies red converse shoes

black vans

Handbags I paid 30tl, purses 10tl...........bought a lovely fold up handbag, they are like a clutch bag, which you can hold, and them when you need to fill them, you can open them up and there like a bucket bag, with a long strap.

Bought a lovely red/black mk bag, will look lovely in winter with a black coat.

Bought hubby a 3 lacoste striped polo shirts (I don't usually buy them for him, as in the past they've been wrong sizes) but I took a small tape measure with me, got him 3 nice tops from the shop opposite happy bar near uncle festers, cost me 40tl for 3 striped ones, they fit him, and I will hand wash them.

grandson a Dortmund football kit for 15tl he's well pleased with it, I usually get him one each year, but do check you know this years colour, because they will try and fob you off, with last years ones, and check the spelling of the name on the back.

Don't really shop in bodrum, it does my head in, plus they are not as easy to haggle with as they are in gumbet, saying that I bought a lovely pair of flip flops, dressy ones, with a flower on the front, paid 30tl for them, but he wouldn't haggle with me.

There is a lovely cosmetic jewellery shop in gumbet, where memories bar is, walking down to uncle festers, there is a proper jewellers, then a small jewellery/bag/scarf shop, her jewellery is real unusual, there's no hassle and she's real lovely, I got a black/diamaniti braclette from her, for 20tl, some scarfs for 20tl, they are real unusual and different. My friend bought a lovely orange bag from her, for 20tl.

And that was that........lol

I'd recommend taking a tape measure with you, I use it for the kids football kit, hubbys t-shirts, and also the babies shoes, I measure her feet, and then the length of her boots she wears now, so I can use this for the babies converse.

Swansea
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back

Gosh Claire did you go back to the Uk for a rest....you were busy with your retail therapy lol x

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
10,689 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back

lol...I have my list before I go and know what I want, we spent 3 hours on the sat morning, getting most of the stuff.

but then again, when you moving around at night, there's always another chance to pop in.

my maroon converse looked lovely with my jeans today, so glad I opted for this colour instead of the red ones. lol

manchester
Level Contributor
69 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back

love it Claire woman after my own heart shop , shop , shop xxx I cant wait I was in marmaris in april got some lovely well made paul smith t shirts for him in doors and they all wash so well . but I have never been to Gumbet I have been to a few places in turkey ,so im looking forward to another place in turkey

Get answers to your questions about Gumbet
Recent Conversations
More Gumbet Topics