We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum of Civilization

Which Ankara hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Museum of Civilization

We'll be in Ankara in March and are wondering if we need a guide for the Museum of Civilization. Their website does not seem to have an English option, so I can't find out whether there are headsets or guides on the premises.

What was your experience?

England
Level Contributor
70 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum of Civilization

It's a big museum and there are signs etc in english. When we went there were 'guides' outside the museum and in hindsight it would have been helpful to have had someone with us as our knowledge of the anatolian history was very scant, but it wasn't essential.

Bethesda
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum of Civilization

Thanks! That's really helpful. When we were in Spain, all of the museums had guides just inside and they were very knowledgeable and made the visit that much better.

England
Level Contributor
70 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum of Civilization

I would try and find a bit more about how official the guides are and how much they cost beforehand if I were you though!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum of Civilization

We went through without a guide and had no problem as most of the display and directions were in English. We have a good background in history but it might benefit you to have someone putting things in context if you are unfamilar. It is laid out very nicely and easy to follow the chronological procession in the displays. My mistake was not getting the gift there because I though I would find one cheaper elsewhere on my trip. I forgot about it until I got home!

Bethesda
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum of Civilization

Thanks. We just hired a guide -- I'll report when I return on my experience. Waht kind of a gift were you looking for?

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
119 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum of Civilization

My wife really wanted a little statue of the stag. I think it represented fertility and had seven pionts on his atlers. I assumed they were more expensive at the gift shop at the museum so I did not get one there. I did not see one, when I remembered to look, th erest of the trip. I bought one off ebay but its not the same you know.

Good luck on your trip. We really enjoyed our trip.

Bethesda
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum of Civilization

Thanks!

8. Re: Museum of Civilization

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:19 pm, October 19, 2009