We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

single woman traveling - safe or no?

Which Quezon City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
441 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
single woman traveling - safe or no?

I am traveling to the Philippines in July for work. I have already gone through the forums, but most of the info is pretty old. Is is safe now for a single, American female (who looks completely American), traveling alone?

Tips, tricks, suggestions?

thanks!

Heather

32 replies to this topic
clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

any place in particular? u know there is over 7000 islands?

london
Level Contributor
933 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

Heather

I went to the Philippines for a 3 week dive trip by myself in February. I had a wonderful time , never felt in any way unsafe and loved the country. I get 2 weeks more holidays per year than my husband and think nothing of heading off by myself. I have been to Kenya , Thailand ,Malaysia and now the Phillipines . It is more fun travelling with my hubby of course , but I never have a problem alone. Doing an activity such as scuba diving helps alot.

Go for it , you will have a fantastic time.

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

I know several women who have come to the Philippines on their own and they had no problems whatsoever and the American ladies all said they felt safer here than many places in the USA.

Just take the same precautions as you would at home and have a great time.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,441 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

Are you staying in Quezon City?If so Id recommend Makati as a safe tourist friendy place to stay whilst in Manila.

There is a scam thread and a safety thread on the main page worth reading so that you know what to look out for. Ive found travel there as a male safe as long as you bring common sense with you.

Enjoy the Philippines and try to get to one of their fantastic beaches.

Tommo

Edited: 6:26 pm, April 29, 2013
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

Where in Quezon City and where are they going to let you stay exactly?

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

Hi! I meet a lot of travellers, mostly Europeans who visit my part of the Philippines. Single women travellers are a plenty. As with anywhere, including the US where I had to get my first pepper spray cause it was the only place that I didnt feel safe after a year of traipsing around Europe and the US, keep your wits about you. Listen to your gut because It will tell you when something is off. Also the biggest problem I see with single women travellers is when they drink too much in the company of strangers. I have seen this happen too many times.

As Tommo said, check the FAQs. Lots of tips there. It is more commin sense than anything. Go to the other islands. Enjoy.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

i see that you have had prior travel experience to mexico , jamaica and the DR..I would say that the Phils as a whole, is safer that all three. I would advise you as to two things peculiar to the philippines because unaccustomed foreign tourists often get anxious about--1) the common presence of armed security guards at public and private venues and 2) the stares that one may get , including from the opposite sex. #1 is viewed as a deterrence and due to the low cost of labor, security guards are as common as burglar alarms in the west and #2 should generally not be viewed as a threat but as an acknowledgment of interest, concern or attraction but not intended to be threatening but is part of the openness and friendliness of the people..

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

There are some areas in Quezon City (like certain portions of Cubao) which I wouldn't recommend for solo female travelers. QC is huge so it will be better if you know where exactly you will be working/living.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
16,771 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

Here's the Canadian government has to say about safety in different countries. It seemed that the Philippines is safer than Jamaica and Dominican Republic --> www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/travel-warnings/

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,728 posts
1,971 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: single woman traveling - safe or no?

TA member tommomelbourne, could you please place this in a relevant 'Top Questions' area on TA?

With the upsurge in tourism, there are more adventurous single female travellers in the 18 to 35 bracket travelling on their own.

Just like the rest of us, they should stick to the 80 per cent plus of Philippines' land mass that is safe: almost all of Luzon and the central Visayan islands, avoiding only parts of the west and southernmost parts of Mindanao (note that Camiguin Island, Siargao Island, Cagayan de Oro City, Iligan City and Davao City are among the many safe parts of Mindanao).

In September last year I was on Philippine Airlines between Sydney and Melbourne when it still flew the 'triangle' route. A 30ish woman got on in Sydney. She told me when she said that she was going to Philippines, her friends either knew nothing about it or said it was 'unsafe.' She said that this only hardened her resolve to go. Good on her!

I agree with sole2soul: provided one exercises commonsense, it is a very safe place. Not getting massively inebriated in the company of men that a woman does not know may sound like paternalistic advice, but it makes good sense.

Edited: 4:26 am, April 30, 2013
Reply to: single woman traveling - safe or no?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted