We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
793 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

Our Manila trip coming up in another 3 weeks' time.

Have a couple of questions :

1. We are booked to stay at the new Malayan Plaza (an apartment building ) located on the ADB avenue corner Opal Road, Ortigas Centre, Pasig City. (across from the Podium Mall apparently) Our bus from the airport will stop at SM Megamall Building A, ADB avenue, Ortigas Centre - note - Mandaluyong City. My initial enquiry for the reason of the two different cities is that the Ortigas Centre is in the middle of both cities, and that the distance between the two is only 5 minutes.

As it will be nightfall by the time we got into Manila and also it would be our first time , I am not sure whether the 5 min distance is really a 5 min distance. Should we take a taxi or walk the 5 min distance ? Are the two places really very close and safe for us to drag our baggages along in the street , may be across traffic light etc, ? What would you suggest we do ?

2. Do taxi drivers turn on taxi metres readily, or only as told, or just won't do ? How much does the taxi metre start at ?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
734 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

Hi there! I'm assuming you are flying in via Air Asia so you'll be travelling from the Clark Airport, hence the SM Megamall bus stop. If your flight is arriving before 6pm, then hopefully you'll be at SM Megamall at around 830pm, depending on traffic. Malayan Plaza is really about 5-10min walk from Megamall, but depending on the amount of luggage you'll be bringing with you - that's the problem. I can't imagine myself dragging my bags specially during nightime. Not that the area isnt that safe, but you might catch everyone's attention. If your bags are manageable and if the weather is okay, just make sure you study your route. Try to ask Malayan Plaza which way they'd recommend you to walk from SM Megamall. I usually take a shortcut through the open parking of SM Megamall and the Podium Mall. If you can, ask them the best walking route.

If you are arriving on a weekend, it might be difficult to get a cab, specially if it is raining. But if its raining, you definitely have no choice. Because of the short distance, the drivers might not use the meter. They might ask you to pay an exorbitant amount - don't pay more than P100, which actually is too much already. The trip wont even reach P50.00 if they use the meter. There are taxi lines at some points of SM Megamall, so line up and just give the driver the address. If they do not negotiate, then make sure they use the meter.

Danville, CA
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

Taxi meters start at Php 30.00 and the increments are at 2.50 after that. Not sure if the incremental drops are based on distance or time. Either way, the ride is very affordable. Most cabs will drop their meters on boarding and if they don't, you will not offend them if you ask that they do so. It could be a matter of just forgetting. If they do object to it, your logical move would be to get off.

As a frequent traveler to the Philippines from California, I strongly suggest you take the cab and if he ofers you a flat rate of Php 100 or below, take it. That is just two dollars. You DO NOT want to start your visit with a bargaining session which could set the pace for the rest of your trip. Pay the piper, get settled in, and start your vacation right. Once there, you can learn the tricks of bargaining, taxi rides, and others that will face this wonderful trip.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
793 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

Thanks. I agree with the advise - We'll take a taxi for up to P100 to get to the hotel.

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

i just wanted to know if you booked malayan plaza via the internet and what kind of (good) rate you got. how long will you be staying there and what kind of a unit did you get? sorry for all these questions. still looking for a place to stay for our 5 week trip this december. i look forward to your review of malayan plaza! thanks.

Cainta, Rizal
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

to ericjen,

I was at the Malayan Plaza the other day, and was able to peek at a studio unit managed by Quantum, the appliances and furnishings are new.

Philippine Hotel Reservations Service, www.phrs.com.ph, has discounted rates for Malayan Plaza, 2,700pesos per nite. Visit www.buyandsellph, if you are lucky you can find owners who are willing to rent out their fully furnished studio units for 45,000pesos/month. Or send a mail to cyprianpal@yahoo.com, he is an agent selling condo units in Ortigas Center, and may also have a list of for-rent units.

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

to rafaelukas,

thank you for this post! i will email the person you referred me to, and will definitely check out the other sites! thanks thanks thanks!

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
793 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

Hi ericjen we are back from our short visit to Manila. Yes I can tell you about the Malayan Plaza ; we booked a studio unit from Quantunsuites website, and got a rate of USD 55, inclusive of taxes, breakfast and papers. We paid in pesos which worked out to be PP2,860. Rafelucas has given you an even better rate at PP2,700! His suggestion of making contact with unit owners is excellent as you may get a better furnished unit.

While the building is new, I thought the decor inside the room is not that great really, especially the bathroom which is so plain. But then I may have been influenced by the pictures on the internet, so I was expecting more but was disappointed. Service was good though, check-in was swift, our request for power socket and to have the TV fixed was met with efficiency.

It is located just opposite The Podium, an upscale shopping mall. It is very near the Megamall, you just walk through the car park and you would be in the Megamall for your shopping and dining needs. There is a 7-11 just next to the Plaza.

The surrounding is clean, safe and peaceful. I think you should be able to bargain a better long term rate from what is advertised on the hotel website, i.e. if you are going to deal with the hotel management direct.

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

ctmew, thank you for your feedback. quantum suites has emailed me back with their long-term rates. unfortunately, 1bdrm suite for one month is priced at 100K. i think that's a bit steep... or rather, a price i wouldn't want to pay. 2bdrm is priced at around 150K. just wanted to know if you took any photos of malayan plaza... cuz the pictures on the internet make the place look really good.

Kuching, Malaysia
Level Contributor
793 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

No we didn't take any photo. I do agree with you that the pictures on the net looks so good.

100K ? Pesos or other currencies? Going by the rate we paid x 30 days doesn't get up to 100K ! Have you been misquoted ?

San Mateo, CA
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi or walk a 5 min distance ?

100K PESOS. Studio rate for a month stay at Malayan Plaza is 76K - a little less than your rate x 30 days. So there is a bit of a discount with Quantum Suites. Just to ask again, did you have a studio unit or a 1bdrm? If you really had a 1bdrm then definitely, you got a good deal and I'd definitely take Malayan Plaza. With a family of 3-4, a studio might be a little too cramped for my style.