We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female traveller to Manila - first visit

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Female traveller to Manila - first visit

Hi, I will be in Manila in November on business for 3 days, with only one day available for sign seeing. What would you suggest is doable in one day and also safe for me travelling on my own. I would like to get a real feel for the city and not spend it in a shopping mall. Love photography so areas showing real city would be great. Are the taxis safe also if travelling on my own.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female traveller to Manila - first visit

Check out Intramuros then move to Roxas Boulevard during sunset.

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,481 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female traveller to Manila - first visit

Intramuros is a must. It shows so much of Philippine History.

Next, take a taxi to the National Museum in Luneta and then take another taxi to Mall of Asia where you will have a large choice of restaurants to choose from that you can watch the famous Manila Bay Sunset while you eat.

Make sure you arrive at Mall of Asia by 5.45 so you have time to choose where you will watch the sunset.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298574-i9209-k…

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294245-i3256-k…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female traveller to Manila - first visit

when you say Manila, I take it you mean the City of Manila-----Intramuros- Binondo ( Chinatown)- Luneta Park- National Museum- Mall of Asia(technically not in the city of manila but is on manila bay)...

Panay Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female traveller to Manila - first visit

For photography, I'd recommend Ermita, colorful but fairly safe during the day and you can do almost everything on foot including that sunset stroll along Roxas Boulevard. Even Intramuros, Fort Santiago (photogenic) and Rizal Park are within walking district. There are lots of hotels in Ermita in all price ranges. Having a hotel in Ermita gives you a base of operations and will especially appreciated if the weather is not good. If you like Middle Eastern cuisine, give the Shawarma Snack Center (also in Ermita) a try. We love it.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
647 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female traveller to Manila - first visit

Intramuros. Arrange a ride from your hotel (taxi most likely) and keep it for the duration of your tour. Intramuros has more than enough to keep your photo skills sharpened. Or get on one of Carlos Celdran's walking tour. OR, another suggestion, Corregidor. I found the island and WW2 memorials very photogenic. You have to book a tour for that, and leave your hotel for 8:00 am sailing back at 4:00 pm. It's all inclusive tour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
127 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female traveller to Manila - first visit

If you have google maps in your smart phone download the map where you are going in advance while you still have wifi at the hotel. It made me feel safer knowing that the taxi is heading in the direction I wanted to go.

Prepare for the humid weather. It takes a bit of getting used to.

Intramuros as others have suggested is a good place to go.

Enjoy Manila.

7. Re: Female traveller to Manila - first visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 04, 2015