We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
206 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

OK, so it looks like we may end up finding ourselves in Manila on June 12th (Independence Day). Is this a good idea or is it a recipe for chaos and frustration? We will most likely be staying at the Hyatt Regency in Ermita. From what I've read, the I-day parade is held nearby ... would we have a chance to view it or would everything be blocked off due to security and crowds? Would public transportation and attractions all be closed? Basically, would we be better served by getting away from Manila during I-Day or would it be a rewarding cultural experience to stay and enjoy the festivities?

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,630 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

You could attend the flag raising ceremony at Rizal Park. All transportation options are operating just like any other day. Malls are busy and crowded during a holiday. You can do a Corregidor Island day tour if you fancy it.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

@ Utq

For most Filipinos, Independence day is a holiday - that is it. Expects roads to be emptier, malls to be full of people, and places close to Manila (Tagaytay etc) to be booked.

If I were you, I would use the day to visit / tour Intramuros (will be less crowded) or, as mentioned above, do a day trip to Corregidor, or better still , stay overnight there (if you are a WW2 buff or enjoy history, it is exciting!)

DO NOT try to visit any touristy spots - they will all be terribly crowded.

Edited: 11:42 pm, April 28, 2014
Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

Flag raising ceremonies are held all over the Philippines with Rizal Park and Aguinaldo Shrine, Kawit, Cavite, being best attended.

Patriotic organisations will be in attendance and security will not be too intrusive.

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
206 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

Thank you all for your informative replies! YouLiveOnlyOnce, I was initially thinking of taking off to Tagaytay during that time but now after reading your advice I know better. I think it would be fun to try and catch the flag raising ceremony and parade at Rizal Park, as it would be a cultural experience that one cannot find every day in Manila. I assume the Hyatt Regency is close enough to the parade area to be able to walk there from the hotel, especially if traffic will be less intense due to the holiday?

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

It is 1kilometer distance and so a 10 to 15 minute walk from Hyatt Hotel. Walk down to Roxas Boulevard, turn right and keep going until you reach the Flagpole.

Logan, Utah
Level Contributor
206 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

Thank you FSRP01!

7. Re: Independence Day (June 12) in Manila?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, May 01, 2015