We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,278 posts
255 reviews
Save Topic
Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

I found this and many of the "worst advice" are very applicable in the Philippines.

lonelyplanet.com/europe/…

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,839 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

Good article.

The laundry certainly applies. About 5 times cheaper in the Phils compared with a do it yourself launderette in the UK - plus it get's ironed too.

As for street food - never had a problem

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,303 posts
1,907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

Some great tips in that article.

Tommo

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

There is currently a program on National Geographic about the Philippines aimed at Filipinos called Street Smart and it is very good.

Yesterday, they bought 5 different items of street food and sent it to a laboratory.

They then recommended that street food is best avoided due to the insanitary methods of preparation.

It surprised me because in 27 years of eating kwek-kwek, banana cue, turon and barbeque l have never had any ill effects.

My only problem was from drinking buko from a street vendor and his ice must have been suspect and that was in 1987.

Personally, l have no faith in Lonely Planet publications due to inaccurate information in even the newest editions.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,927 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

Personally, l have no faith in Lonely Planet publications due to inaccurate information in even the newest editions.

-------------------

Number 10 in the article said trust a guide book instead of a online. He writes for Lonely Planet, so he is of course biased.

My experience with lonely planet is that it is already out of date by the time it is printed. And for places I know, the information is often misleading and some times plain wrong.

I don't know about the latest addition but a few years ago, one of the contributors to Lonely Planet Philippines admitted that he had never set foot in the Philippines.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,093 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

A bad stomach or food poisoning can ruin an entire vacation. As such, don't risk eating street food when your stomach is not used to "dirty food".

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,278 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

Regarding dirty food, when I went to India I never had the "Delhi belly" eating cheap food in the street or small restaurant. Lo and behold, I need at least 2 loperamide capsules just 2 hours after eating in a 4-star hotel restaurant where I even pay US$.

The first travel guide I ever read is Lonely Planet - Philippines and I think there are some inaccurate information there which I want to object to so I don't 100% trust travel guides every since specially hotel and restaurant recommendations.

Puerto Galera...
Level Contributor
3,942 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

Doesn't the food advice depend on where you are in the world and the type of street food. In Thailand for example the home of good street food you are eating very small pieces of food that have been fried in front of you or eating a soup from a vat of boiling liquid. A leading chefs expensive restaurant in London has just been prosecuted for food hygene breaches. BBQ's sticks cooked in front of - where is the harm in that.

Some people have very sensitive stomachs, sit out in the sun too long and consume too much alcohol and blame the food. You can of course travel the world and eat bland tourist food or in Europe horse masquerading as lamb or you came make sensible choices i.e. don't eat balut !

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,489 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

avoid street food, no reason to try it and risk the worst night of your life on any trip.

and if you still want it, do for sure avoid the sauces sitting there.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

The worst advice someone gave me many years ago was 'do not go to Philippines. It has nothing for tourists.'

I am pleased that I ignored this naysayer. There are so many attractive iskands with great scenery and terrific white or sometimes other coloured sand beaches (blinding white is however my favourite), along with possibly the friendliest people in the world, a growing list of accommodation, excellent day or half day tours (often by bangka - small boat), amazingly beautiful and historic Catholic Chuches (sadly, a minority are no longer with us due to the 2013 Bohol earthquake) and (provided one researches well) most enjoyable snorkelling (and diving, but I am not a diver).

Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
473 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worst Travel (pieces of) Advice

re:avoiding street food...

Yes, street food can be a little risky, especially for people that don't travel a lot to more "rustic" countries. And some people do indeed have sensitive stomachs, and, they will already know that. But here are a few things I do to lessen the risks.

1. Eat only freshly made foods, which can be found at...

2. Busy vendors. The locals don't like getting sick either. So they choose places that are tasty and safe. Ergo, that place is busy. This goes for restaurants as well. So...

3. Caution during slow hours of the day.

4. Sniff test. Does the oil/food/prep area smell funky? Oil can be disgusting after several days.

5. Look it over. If it doesn't look good, move to the next stall.

6. Carry lomotil. .

7. Before you leave home, get a good gastrointestinal antibiotic. Use it as a last resort.

8. That canned soda that came out of the ice water? Wipe it off really good. Paid the price for that bad move in Mexico while on a cruise.

9. Caution foods later in the day mayonnaise (biggie), ceviche, chicken, shellfish

I've gotten horribly sick at a major American restaurant chain in Puerto Vallarta (not MacDonalds). It happens.

I'm finding more and more street vendors using coolers and paying attention to hygiene.

Get answers to your questions about Manila