We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby in Manila

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Topic
Baby in Manila

Due to my husband's job, we will be in Manila for 6 wks. We will have our 1-1/2 year old son with us. How is traveling with an baby in Manila? Safety? Stroller accessibility? Is there another place/country we should definitely visit on our way back to US?

manila
Level Contributor
478 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby in Manila

Unfortunately there are no strollers for rent in malls here in the philippines for 1.5yrs old. but you can buy 1 for only Php1000 (+-$20) at SM department stores or at the malls. you know those handy umbrella type strollers ;)

maybe, you could search the net on places to go here in the philippines w/ a 1.5yr old its pretty hard to be travelling.

Philippine airline has a direct flight from SFO to Manila...FYI

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby in Manila

Manila is a relatively safe place -- I'm assuming you will be staying at a hotel in the Makati (Central Business District) area -- which has Greenbelt Park and lots of shopping malls within walking distance. Most public places are wheelchair and therefore stroller accessible. In the malls, there are elevators should you not be able to use the escalators. Enjoy your stay!

San Francisco
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby in Manila

Thank you. I've hearing horror stories about the likelihood of being kidnapped in Manila and considered not joining my husband on his business trip. But now I feel safer about traveling with my son. Thank you for your inputs.

However, what are your thoughts on kidnapping occuring in Manila?

Paranaque...
Level Contributor
763 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby in Manila

The likelihood of your being kidnapped in Manila is very low. You'll find it to be a quite modern city -- nothing like the war zone that some portray it to be. On the odd occassion that they do occur, kidnap victims are usually wealthy businessmen that are based here, not tourists.

Keep in mind that the Philippines is made up of over 7,000 islands -- the insurgency (muslim rebels, kidnappings) that you may have heard about are happening in the south (mindanao), which is quite far from where you will be.

Manila, Philiippines
Level Contributor
109 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby in Manila

^^ Just imagine youll be goin to Mexico City. Manila & Mexico are very much alike, huge, crowded but cosmopolitan. some parts are gritty but many parts are safe...

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
641 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby in Manila

Gidghet,

Rest assured that the likelihood of tourists being kidnapped in Manila is very remote. The perpetrators of this crime choose (they do studies of the fact that they can collect ransom from the kidnapped victims) those with big business here in the Philippines, mostly of Chinese nationality. Tourists and expats stay here without encountering major troubles. Just stay in safe places and you'll be ok. Enjoy the islands of the Philippines before you go back to the US. This is where you'll truly see the beauty of the country.

7. Re: Baby in Manila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 14, 2009