We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filipino cuisine !

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Filipino cuisine !

Hi, I'm going to spend a 3-day vacation in Manila (to be specific it's in Makati) so do you have any recommendation about what to eat or some Filipino traditional dishes? I took a look on wiki travel but there are plenty of food which kind of confusing me.

So do you have any recommendation? Something like must-eaten food?

And I am looking for a restaurant with affordable price at Manila Bay, it's best if it isnt far from Intramurous! Do you have any ideas??

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Filipino cuisine !

there is a forum a few posts before yours I want to learn how to make traditional / local dishes

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,447 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Filipino cuisine !

Go to Robinsons Ermita and look for Mangan Restaurant.It's on the ground floor near to TGI Friday and National Book Store.

Must try dishes are Adobo, Sinigang (Baboy(Pork) or Hipon (Prawn)), Torteng Talong, Escabetse, Pancit, Ginataan Gulay (vegetables in Coconut milk) and Lugaw.

Really anything on their menu is good but some may be too foreign for you -such as Ampalaya, Pinakbet, sweet and sour chicken feet and Lumpia Sariwa.

There are also a good range of foods in the food court on the 3rd floor but be aware that Filipinos like pork with lots of fat on it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,437 posts
1,560 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filipino cuisine !

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g298460-i7247-k…

Gladesville...
Level Contributor
184 posts
465 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filipino cuisine !

Chow King!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filipino cuisine !

gag, chow king...

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filipino cuisine !

*faint* chowking?

Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filipino cuisine !

seems like everyone loves Chow King! Gonna give it a try!

and thank you @FSRP01 for a very detail guide !!

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filipino cuisine !

*faint again* not Chowking!

manila
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filipino cuisine !

My label is actually ChoKing! Give it a miss, please!

I like Sentro 1771 in Serendra at Global City for their corned beef sinigang (brisket in a tamarind base soup) and the kare kare (beef and vegetables - sounds wrong, but tastes good) in Cafe Juanita in Kapitolyo and Aracama in Fort Bonifacio. I haven't tasted adobo better than what we serve at home, but we are not open to the public ;).

For more adventurous fare, go north to Everybody's Cafe in San Fernando Pampanga. Fried catfish with mustard leaves and burrong hipon (fish paste) with a side of steamed rice is well worth the trip. While there, munch on the crickets. Further north is Isdaan in Gerona Tarlac for the taciyapo, ribs and chicken.

Local innovations like the sisig (google it if you are brave enough to know what's in it, but I promise it doesn't taste like the gross food challenges on reality shows) are a hit in a lot of places, but I am partial to Trellis and Congo Grille. Dencio's is good enough but since they were bought by the Pancake House franchise, I haven't enjoyed it as much.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filipino cuisine !

Since you are in Makati...go try Cafe Juanita.

In Greenbelt you have Fely J's, Mesa Grill, Sentro 1771 or is that the Chateau one? Via Mare. All serve Filipino food.