We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PAL-Cambodia Airlines

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,174 posts
251 reviews
Save Topic
PAL-Cambodia Airlines

I think the Philippines is too small for Philippine Airlines --> …yahoo.com/pal--cambodian-group-to-launch-ne…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,899 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PAL-Cambodia Airlines

Tourism into Cambodia has increased markedly but is still only at one million arrivals from other nations per annum, less than a quarter of the foreigners that Philippines attracts and less than five per cent of the 21 million that Thailand attracted last year.

I often read that Cambodia is regarded as a 'client state' of mainland (communist) China but this does not seem to affect foreign tourists.

As long as it is prudent and does not overreach, good on Philippine Airlines under teh watchful eye of Mr Ramon Ang of San Miguel Corporation for wanting to expand into foreign lands. However I could not see any cambodian operation being anything other than small at this stage.

Edited: 11:50 pm, April 05, 2013
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,174 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PAL-Cambodia Airlines

I agree with you Victorianlad. I'm guessing that the proposed airline will concentrate on the Cambodia-Bangkok and Cambodia-Vietnam route.

Denver
Level Contributor
203 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PAL-Cambodia Airlines

This could be a smart move. Manila is not a good transit point for expanding an airline. Geographically Manila only can be a domestic hub. Cambodia has short land and air access to the largest S.E. Asian cities. It could be an inexpensive alternative to Bangkok, Singapore, KL or HK. PAL could provide the international direct link from America and Europe to Phnom Penh. They already have the network, however, their passenger levels are so low that they are not economical.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,899 posts
1,993 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PAL-Cambodia Airlines

Manila would be better as a transit point if Terminal 1 at NAIA was demolished and rebuilt. Manila also needs railed peoplemovers ('ligh rail') connecting the terminals as at Singapore and other worldwide terminals.

While there is speculation that more international airlines will move from T1 to T3 by the end of 2013, joining Cebu Pacific, Zest Airways and All Nippon Airways who are now the only carriers providing international flights at T3 given PALExpress' recent international flights only relocation to T2, it remains to be seen if this will occur

T1 is operating at way above its designed capacity. Minor renovations cannot hide its age and general ugly, 1980s type design.

Edited: 1:47 am, April 07, 2013
5. Re: PAL-Cambodia Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 09, 2014