We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for couple in their 20's

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for couple in their 20's

Just doing a bit of research, prob going to book the shangri la makati as it is close to greenbelt but I've just seen Robinson place mall on the net. Is this a better, cheaper option for us as far as shopping is concerned? The list of stores seem quite extensive. Is it a better option than greenbelt? We are only there for 1 day.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

I like power plant as well, but its an upscale mall that tends to be a bit more expensive and lacks anchor stores like SM. Great theater there and good places to eat there and outside in that area. Choices are much more limited though and mall is small.

Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

Is mall of Asia part of greenbelt?

Manila, Philippines
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

Mall of Asia is located in Pasay City in Metro Manila but very accessible if you stay in Shangri-la Hotel Makati.

I'd go and stay at Shangri-la as malls like The Landmark, SM Makati, Greenbelt 1 - 5, Glorietta 1 - 5 surrounds the area.

The Landmark and SM Makati are pretty cheap and Greenbelt 1 - 5 and Glorietta 1 - 5 has medium to high end shops but that area is very safe to roam around (even at night time).

In comparison with Robinsons Ermita, you only get to roam around 1 mall only and the crowd is not that favorable.

I hope this helps!

Good luck! :)

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

@Left,

...Seeing that they want to book Shangrila, the most expensive hotel in that area, I would think that upscale malls is more their cup of tea. It is also right in the same area so it is not too much of a stretch to go there. And I have walked fr Greenbelt to Rockwell so it is not that far.

...I just find that mall the most relaxing of all. And they can spend mornings and afternoon in the Greenbelt-Glorietta area and Rockwell in the evening if they want. More choices for them.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,964 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

The stores in Mall of Asia except maybe Uniqlo and Forever 21 can all be found in the shopping complex of Makati so no need to go there anymore.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

Sole, I thought the same thing as you but they said "Is this a better, cheaper option for us as far as shopping is concerned?"

Yes, as noted, I like Power Plant, its easier to manage or get around and good stuff to do. Rustans for food is also good.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

Left,

...I notice that too but thinking they were just looking for choices. :)

...and thinking of food is making me hungry. Yes Rustans have nice options and a good deli. ;)

aust
Level Contributor
183 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

I answered your other post regarding shopping aswell- we only had 2 half days in Manila, we spent one at Greenhills and the other at Divorsia 168. We also spent a few hours at Mall of Asia but i felt a bit sick so we just looked around and had dinner there. What I saw at Mall of Asia was similar pricing and stores to what we have in Australia, though I didnt get to see a lot of the mall as we didn't have much time there.

You and your partner will find everything you need at 168, Greenhills is ok but way more expensive than 168, and not as big.

We stayed in Makati but didnt get a chance to shop at Greenbelt as we just didnt have time. Next time we will make sure we are there longer to see more of the shopping centres though.

You will have a great time wherever you go, but I guarantee if you go to 168 you will be going home with new wardrobes and probably will even go home with money left over- we always come home from holidays broke, but this time we struggled to spend all of our spending money, and we ate, drank and shopped non stop. Make sure you book the max luggage allowance as you will need it!

Edited: 12:53 am, November 15, 2012
Manila
Level Contributor
89 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

Both have their pros and cons.

Greenbelt is a cluster of several malls catering from A to B class market. Around it are several other malls catering to B and C class.

Robinsons is located in Manila (Pedro Gil) in the old red light district. Within the area are bars and a lot of other tourists.

If it is shopping then pick Makati. As others have mentioned, you can also shop at Greenhills for cheaper buys.

168 and the general area sorrounding it is cheaper than any of the mentioned but don't expect original designer clothes etc there. Also, around this time of the year up until early January, the place is packed...you can just stand and let the crowd push you to wherever...

Edited: 1:18 am, November 15, 2012
20. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, November 18, 2013