We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping for couple in their 20's

Australia
Level Contributor
112 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping for couple in their 20's

Just doing a bit of research, prob going to book the shangri la makati as it is close to greenbelt but I've just seen Robinson place mall on the net. Is this a better, cheaper option for us as far as shopping is concerned? The list of stores seem quite extensive. Is it a better option than greenbelt? We are only there for 1 day.

Divisoria Market
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

greenbelt, Glorietta, Landmark (my fav) are all near to the Shang. and good for shopping depending on what you seek.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

I'd go with Greenbelt.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,141 posts
2,133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

I love Robinsons Place Mall in Pedro Gil, Adriatico or Padre Faura Streets in Ermita, Metro Manila. It has an excellent variety of shops. It is built up not out so it is easier on the feet. Don't miss restaurants such as Savory for its pork sweet'n'sour, a simple but great meal; Robinsons Department Store has loads of clothing and many other items.

Why not, however, catch the MRT train from Ayala to Santolan station near Cubao (www.urbanrail.net) and then a taxi to Greenhills Markets, shop there from 1000 to 1300, have lunch then in the afternoon catch a taxi (since you'll have shopping) to Robinsons (noting that traffic could be heavy) to finish off the day until about 1800 when you can go back to your hotel, freshen up and enjoy a hotel buffet dinner if you can so afford?

This does mean that you will be tripping around a bit (the taxi may get caugfht in traffic), so wear comfortable clothing and take water with you, Both malls, the train and the taxi are airconditiioned but you will still feel the humidity (although as the year draws to a close it is far less taxing than in August, to my mind in Manila the least attractive month weatherwise of the year). Say 'meter po' upon entering the taxi to let the driver know that you want the meter switched on (most drivers now do this: a few decline to. If that's the case, get out and hail the next one).

You can bargain at Greenhills 'Tiangge' (flea market or bazaar). I find the stallholders very pleasant and happy to help, hoping of course that you will purchase. They tend not to shout and scream, unlike some vendors in Shanghai, China.

Edited: 7:36 am, October 29, 2012
Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

The shopping complex in Makati (Glorietta, Greenbelt, Landmark, SM) should have everything you need. If not, you can always take a cab to Greenhills.

It's better to stay in the heart of Makati than get stuck with just one mall in Robinson's Ermita.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,085 posts
1,954 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

The above recommended near your hotel are convenient but Greenhills Market is a great place to go for designer copies and bargains.

It depends what you need to purchase.

Tommo

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

Agree with all posts esp post #4. With your location, more choices in the Glorietta/Greenbelt

Area. SM is my fave go to place there for cheaper choices but Greenhills if you want it supercheap.

Edited: 7:12 pm, October 29, 2012
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,040 posts
5,933 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

I might add a stop at Rustan's while in the Ayala Centre malls of Makati.

The huge Mall of Asia in Pasay is worth consideration and Victorialad's suggestion for Robinson's Mall in Ermita is great, one of my personal favorites in Asia. Shopping is good enough and there is a great dining, quick eats and coffee shop scene there. Too many good options for an entire weekend.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,793 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

For shopping I would go to Mall of Asia instead of Robinsons.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

a note, designer clothes that are knock offs are illegal to bring back into some countries if they are pirated with the designer name. The law in some places are being enforced Had Friends land in SFRAN in states with a box full of greenhills stuff that was confiscated. This especially applies to videos as well. So, my advice is NOT to buy in quantity.

Mall of Asia, I agree Keg, is better than Robinsons as more options.

@Brad, why Rustans?

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,098 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping for couple in their 20's

Also my favorite mall of all, Power Plant Rockwell in Makati. It is a short taxi ride fr Shangrila. And has better stock for most of the chains than, say Mall of Asia or Greenbelt. For ex Zara Rockwell has better stock overall than in other branches.

The basement of the mall has great food choices and kakanins or Filipino merienda food. Piano player or band at times. Very nice ambiance for shopping....Great stores as well.