We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manila sightseeing

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san francisco
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Manila sightseeing

We will be in Manila , one of our stops, on a tour. We are staying in the Makati area and want to see Chinatown. Can we go on our own via taxi or what? why do some people I talk to say 'go with someone you know;, 'be careful of the taxis', etc.

we are not filipinos. we would like to see the city daytime only of course and stay in the makati area in the evenings.Looking forward to seeing this beautiful island, thanks!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manila sightseeing

these are common comments made out of an abundance of caution for those unfamiliar with this thriving city which is 'gritty and gorgeous' at the same time. chinatown- sunday mornings are great, would recommend taxi stop in front of binondo church as a starting point.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manila sightseeing

I can catch a taxi from the hotel but what about from binondo? Thank you for your quick response!

Manila
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manila sightseeing

You won't have a problem finding a taxi in Binondo because it is the main business centre for the Chinese community and they also use taxis.

If you do have a problem finding a taxi, just head for Sta Cruz or Recto and you will find plenty there. Anyone will give you directions.

Do not listen to the prophets of doom warning you to have a local guide. I learned about Manila by going about alone.

If you do want a local guide, then take Carlos Celdrun Tour of Binondo

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manila sightseeing

still wrong -its carlos celdran

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5,988 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manila sightseeing

It is difficult to get a taxi inside Binondo, I am speaking out of experience as a local.

Almost all, if not all, of the taxis waiting within Binondo do not want to use the meter. They will insist on a fixed charge otherwise they will not take you. I assume the fixed charge will be even more expensive for a tourist.

Anyway, I really do not see any reason to visit Chinatown. Intramuros and Roxas Blvd is better and more convenient for a trip during the day.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
270 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manila sightseeing

You should have some dimsum in Ongpin St... and ride a kalesa (horse-drawn carriage).

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manila sightseeing

@Ljhomer,

...there is a food tour by Ivan Dy during weekends. Sounds like fun. Check it out.

san francisco
Level Contributor
165 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manila sightseeing

wherever we travel, we make it a point to to visit Chinatown, if there is one.

I will also check out Intramuros and Roxas Blvd, and the food tour. however,

I still would like to know if taking taxis in Manilla are safe or not.

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,087 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manila sightseeing

@Ljhomer,

...I only take taxis in Manila coz it is just way more convenient. I have had no bad experience with them other than the usual add-more-to the-meter banter. But this is usually settled before the taxis go anywhere and if not, I just flag a different taxi till I find one that turns on the meter.

...Still, a lot of incidents have been reported. Use the newer taxis. Make sure that they have the operator of the taxi, taxi number written at the side door where the passenger seat is. I also make imaginary phonecalls saying the taxi number etc. I do that more often night time. Do not share a taxi with anyone.

alkhobar
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manila sightseeing

Ljhomer,

There are some here who may suggest a particular Driver for Tourist. Apparently that driver is trustworthy and proven among few Destination Experts. Just wait for suggestion, however promoting someone (& self-promotion) is forbidden.