We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Data prepaid cards

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Data prepaid cards

Hi all,

as I will be travelling to Manila and staying around the Malate area for 5 days. Could you advise what is in your opinion the best telco carrier to procure a data and voice prepaid card for usage (Are they on 3G or Edge network)? The rates and data load, convenience of top up availability will be helpful as well.

This will be essential for me to travel around using the Google maps to various places and keeping in touch back home on the go.

Regards

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Data prepaid cards

My advice is that though it is good to have a data plan but do not show your expensive phone (assumed expensive) in the public too much especially nearing to Christmas and in Malate.

Not to say that you will definitely meet with some misfortune but it is better to be on the safe side.

Instead, print out the maps and try to navigate your way in the hotel room using the printed map.

As for data plan, you can choose from Smart or Globe which are the two common telcos. There are also Sun Telecom.

You can go to their respective website for info.

http://www1.smart.com.ph/prepaid

www.globe.com.ph/prepaid?jsid=1347974174509

Singapore
Level Contributor
49 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Data prepaid cards

Thanks Mousehunt, I am chided for assuming safety even in Singapore not to let my phone be conveniently laid bare for the world to see. I appreciate the reminder.

I assume the Smart.com and Globe are available for purchase in the Manila airport and 7/11 convenience stores?

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Data prepaid cards

If in Manila, you will see Globe or Smart even before you leave customs. Just keep a lookout for them.

If you miss them, do not worry. Just go to any convenience store or sari-sari (small provision shop) to buy one.

Philippines is a cell phone country. You can find shops offering top up in almost every street.

In Philippines, do not use the phrase "top up" like in SG. Use something like "add load". The keyword is load.

For maps, you http://www.streetdirectory.com/philippines/.

I find it good and more interactive then Goggle Maps but Google Maps is also useful in certain situation.

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Data prepaid cards

Ask for a Smart or Globe prepaid SIM card. If you ask for data card people won't know what you mean.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Data prepaid cards

On this topic, with Globe or Smart, are there any restrictions on using prepaid cards with certain handsets.

For instance, in the US, if you have certain handsets, they do not allow you to use it on the pre-paid service.

Also are there any coverage maps for either Globe or Smart? i couldn't find one no matter how much I googled.

My wife and I plan on bringing our iPhones for connectivity (Voice/Data/Text) and as an ad hoc camera. I assume as long as we exercise common sense, we shouldnt have to worry about safety of our phone or ourselves.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Data prepaid cards

As long as your handset is unlock and support GSM, it should be ok.

Do not expect 3G services everywhere. Even city like CDO has no 3G coverage from my experience.

When you are in a rural area, there may have only limited coverage.

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Data prepaid cards

hi guys, we're going to PI this week and i'd like to buy an unlimitied SIM card for 30 days so that I can use w/ my smartphone and tether my laptop. I'm assuming w/ those unlimited cards, that shouldn't be a problem? Or would it be restricted like here in the US?

Thx!

Edited: 3:07 am, February 05, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Data prepaid cards

As mentioned, if your phone is the unlock version and support GSM, there should not be a problem.

For daily unlimited data plan from SMART Buddy, it will cost you P50 per 24hr.

Do not get those 30 days plan. They are instead more expensive than those daily plan and they do have a cap on the amount of data (of course this will make sense provided you can really breach the cap given).

Seattle, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Data prepaid cards

Thx for the tip!

manila
Level Contributor
1,040 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Data prepaid cards

Just make sure your smartphone is GSM capable (US phones are mostly CDMA), unlocked and able to fit a sim card (micro and nano also available in the country).