We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Topic
Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

I am currently very stressed out with our flight from Cebu to HK next week. Airphil moved our flight a day earlier, which means we are wasting our domestic flights to Cebu as well as our hotel, transfers, etc.

To make things really unbearable, I have spoken to 8 different people (long distance) and all I got were lies, and no solution! I am very mad at them for ruining our vacation that has not even begun. I still don't know if they ever took care of people who just could not move their flights a day earlier, and who are of course not amenable to a refund! How could that be when your flight is already days away! I hope somebody can share experiences so I can deal with them properly, if necessary in the right forum.

…blogspot.com/2012/05/my-ongoing-nightmare-w…

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

According to their flight schedule -there arent any flights cebu to hong kong on saturdays -which is june 2nd, however if they have changeD flight schedules and your booking confirms this -then get them to change ur flight from cdo to cebu for a day earlier too and cover ur hotel or else tell them you will bring the matter to newspapers /tv etc btw -did u contact them thru facebook -where they have 24 hr customer service?.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

If they cant honor booking for that date -then get them to put you on flight with cebu pacific or pal .

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
589 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

that's LCC for you. I have experienced my international flights being moved on an LCC (not airphil), and the option was either to accept their change (and they have the gall to proudly say they won't charge me rebooking fees) or refund. A relative of mine who also had an international flight on Airphil, also out of Cebu, refused the date change of his flight, so he was given the option of a domestic flight ceb-manila on airphil, and taking another international flight on airphil out of manila to his international destination, without additional charges. The problem is that he ended up arriving at his international destination much later in the day. But he arrived on the day he needed to travel. He insisted to airphil he needed to travel on that day because of other commitments.

Edited: 7:46 pm, May 26, 2012
Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

The big problem is that they have been lying to me repeatedly, wasting so much of the time left before the travel date that they are insisting us to take. I can't imagine how they have the audacity to offer flat out that of course, I can just get a refund when I booked our flights a month ago and for them to cancel this in the last minute offering us a day earlier flight is just so unfair. This is not my fault and they are not being accountable.

I thought my family of four was just bumped off the fllight and moved to a day earlier flight, so I posed as another customer and tried to book a flight on the 2nd. I was told the flight on that day was indeed cancelled and my option is to fly a day earlier or a day later! They also have the poorest customer support. I am not getting the help that I need. :(

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

Yes, I have had my share of their flights delayed. One of it was even delayed for six hours back in February. It's frustrating how they are not taking care of their passengers just because they are a budget airline.

I am very alarmed that I found another person on their facebook page complaining of the same thing. She also can't move her date of departure because of the arrangements that she made previously.

We travel frequently and we often hear Airphil declaring that the flight cancellation is due to the aircraft's operational requirement. How can we ever argue with that? They have used this reason over and over again to test the market and to conveniently merge flights for their own profit. I am so upset with how they are handling things.

I am taking a note of all my conversations with them just in case this may lead me somewhere. Thank you for your time in replying though. :(

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

How I wish it were that easy. What they are telling me is that I can always file for a refund! If I do, it would be the most convenient thing for them and I am not holding them accountable for the mess that they put me into. For all that I've been through, I would really love to book our flights in another airline but then that's not holding them accountable.

To them, being accountable means you have to spend endless time on the phone arguing with people who have been trained to tell lies and waste your money. The expense I have spent on long distance calls to them is almost equivalent to a person's domestic flight already, and it's mounting as this is not yet resolved yet.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
18,107 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

Budget airlines are notorious for those kind of service. Your experience last February is indicative that you should not book another flight with them.

Here's the airline's policy regarding cancellations:

"At any time after a booking has been made we may change our schedules and/or cancel, terminate, divert, postpone reschedule or delay any flight where we reasonably consider this to be justified by circumstances beyond our control or for reasons of maintenance, safety or commercial reasons. In the event of such flight cancellation, we shall at our option, either:

1. Carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charge and, where necessary, extend the validity of your booking; or

2. Should you choose to travel at another time, rebook you on a future flight waiving any applicable fees and charges.

3. Provide you a full refund."

Cagayan de Oro...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

Thanks for putting that up and I also know that their TOS is always a win-win situation on their end. I am longing for the day when the Philippines will have stricter laws regarding this matter so that the passengers are protected in the event of circumstances such as this.

I have yet to hear from them tomorrow and honestly, I am already expecting them to tell me that I am going to fly out on the flights that they are offering. If that is the case, I will continue to share my experience so that others may learn. Had I know about the previous incidents with Airphil on the other blogs, I would also not have booked with them international.

Too bad even the other airlines are notorious for their delays. It's happened to me on other times too. With the way they have been abusing their policies, the paying customers are always the ones to suffer. :(

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
1,845 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

Unfortunately you will find this type of experience reported with all low cost airlines and even full service airlines. With full service airlines there is probably more recourse in the form of compensation. Read tripadvisors Air Travel Forum for more information and examples and in fact it may be an appropriate avenue to vent your anger there but probably wont make a difference.

Whilst it is very unfortunate annoying and inconvenient when it happens you will end up flying with no airline as they all have similar stories to tell. As Keg has provided -please read the small print as these changes can happen and form part of the airlines policy. Nothing we can do about it but pay more and travel on a full service airline.

Tommo

boracay
Level Contributor
9,316 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Terrible Handling of Airphil with Flight Cancellations

And these airlines still call themselves 'budget' airlines while charging extortionate prices for domestic flights.