We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the economy in Manila

Which Manila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Coal City, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
the economy in Manila

I am really just curious about the buying power of the u.s. dollar against the peso. How does the spending relate to each other? If I wanted to go out and buy a dress and shoes there, how much could I expect to spend in pesos to dollars?

1. Re: the economy in Manila

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, March 14, 2006
Philippines
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: the economy in Manila

depending on where you'd shop, your dollar can really go a long way. Like for instance you go to Divisoria market to the famous 168 Mall ( in chinatown) you can get a whole outfit complete with shoes, earrings, neclace, bracelet for 1,500 pesos or less. And if you go to a Makati Mall, 1500 pesos might not even be enough to buy you a pair of shoes. But generally, shopping in Manila is very very cheap, you'd love to come back and shop for more.

Manila, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the economy in Manila

168 Mall is temporarily closed due to suspicions of selling smuggled goods. (Well, that's why goods are so cheap there)

Anyway, try the nearby Divi Mall also in Divisoria if you're ready to sweat it out. Just wear comfortable clothes and shoes.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
732 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: the economy in Manila

Hi there! You'll never get tired of shopping in Manila. Though the peso is gaining ground in the past months, your dollar will definitely get a lot of stuff here. (A Big Mac with a large fries and a large coke is just about US$2! A grande latte from starbucks is less than US$2, which is cheaper than in any Asian country).

The average exchange rate this week is about P51.15 to a US$1.

Sorry to disaggree with the previous posts, but you can get decent shoes in the Makati shopping areas for less than P1,500, much less if you're female since women's shoes are much cheaper than men's. I agree that the place to shop for cheap stuff is in Divisoria in Manila. However, most of the stuff here are imports from China and other cheap Asian stuff. That includes all counterfeit bags and clothings which I wouldnt advice you to buy since you might get in trouble if you bring them back in the US.

SM (ShoeMart) department store (more like WalMart) is a reputable department store which, doesnt only sell shoes but mostly everything you need. They have little known brands to some well known brands of clothings. A regular T-shirt would cost from about $3 to $9 and that's not even on sale. A lot of my relatives who come visit here from the states have more fun buying stuff in SM or Landmark and other stores of local brands in Glorietta (a huge mall in Makati) than in Divisoria. Divisoria will definitely be a culture shock for visitors.

Clothing is definitely cheap here. One thing I find cheap here are audio CD's. Compared to the US, regular single disc CD's costs just about US$9 and below. Unlike there where most newly released CDs are about $12 and up, its far cheaper here. And I'm not talking about the fake ones (again, I'm against piracy). DVDs are also cheaper here. I preordered my 2disc DVD of KingKong which I'm getting on the 28th (simultaneously released there) for only about US$15. Downside though, the DVDs here might not play there if your player is locked to region 1.

Aside from food and clothing, you can watch a movie at any of the big cineplexes here for only about US$3 or P150. And that's at the higher end reserved seating theatres! Most of the US blockbusters are simultaneously released here.

Strange though, but even if I know that stuff is cheaper here, I still spend a lot for shopping whenever I go to the US. Well there are no licensed Gap or Banana Republic shops here. But we do have a lot of high end shops too like Louis Vuitton, Prada, Burberry, and other mid brands like DKNY, Guess, Marks and Spencer, etc. The good thing here is that we not only have shops of US brands but a lot of name brands from Canada and Europe, and other brands from all over Asia. So you can get a lot of stuff here that you can't get anywhere.

There are no specific sale season here unlike the Great Singapore sale every third quarter or the sale months in Hong kong. You can always see a Sale sign at stores, and if youre lucky you might catch weekend sales at the huge malls in Makati or Mandaluyong malls.

Every month there are bazaars in Makati too which sells alot of curio stuff, export overruns, and good food.