We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
154 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

Hi Trip Advisor,

We are looking to hire a driver for the duration of our visit to Manila.

Anyone recommend reliable private driver with reliable vehicle - preferably larger car for up to 4 passengers.

Tips on either going thru an agency? Is this a common request in the Philippines?

We dont want to rely on public transport as we have been warned it is dangerous.

Thanks!

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

You have been given poor and inaccurate advice.

Buses are good and cheap for long journeys but avoid buses with curtains.

Just use taxis around Metro Manila and if the driver refuses to use the meter, then get out and find another taxi!

You can hire a car and driver but it will cost you much more than using taxis.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
24,034 posts
1,837 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

Car with driver will cost around P2500 - 3500 per day for 10 hours (plus fuel and tolls) depending on size of the vehicle.

You can also use the light rail network (MRT) in addition to the above suggestion from FSRP01 . Its a great way to avoid the traffic congestion.

http://www.urbanrail.net/as/mani/manila.htm

Tommo

Mandaluyong...
Destination Expert
for Manila
Level Contributor
3,534 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

I do not recommend traveling on LRT/MRT for two reasons.

1. More passengers are using it and the level of overcrowding is unacceptable to me and, I expect, many other people also. It is used because it is cheaper than taxi; the fares being the same as Air Conditioned Buses.

2. With enhanced security, you can wait in line for the security check up to 45minutes during rush hours which removes its advantage over the taxi.

It is ok out of peak times but that is now from 7am to 10.30 am, 11.30 to 2.30pm and 3pm to 8.30pm.

Better to use the taxi and at least you can sit down for the duration of your journey!

fairfield...
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

jet2dresq,

....The duration of your visit is for how long? Do you need it 24/7? PM me, I can provide you what you require. I use him whenever I'm in Manila. Very reliable, trustworthy. However, it will cost you. It's not cheap.

...Enjoy Manila.....:-)

Papalo

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

papalo@ May I know for how much does it cost please?thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,065 posts
2,067 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

I disagree with FSRP01.

The LRT and MRT are imperfect but remain an excellent way of avoiding the traffic, saving money and time and by the way helping to reduce air pollution in Manila.

I always manage to squueze aboard: passengers are good at moving down the aisles to useb the standing room space effciiently.

If some wish to spend minutes and minutes marooned in a taxi in a traffic jam or traffic moving at six kilometres an hour if that on average, good luck, but I try not to join them.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
154 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

Hi all, Thanks for all your input -- I am looking for a driver because we would like to get out of the main city on either long day trips or overnight stay. We are looking to visit Bagiuo and Taal Volcano.

Thanks again!

fairfield...
Level Contributor
893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

Jojo0319,

....sent you PM of cost. ....;-)

Papalo

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
132 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

papalo@ i see...thanks... :)

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,455 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone know of Private Drivers in and around Manila

Jojo0318..be weary of private messengers when people offer services, as you may be getting overcharged.....You do not need a driver In Manila..its easy to get around and much cheaper by taxi.....I suggest you listen to FSRP01, he lives there and not a once in awhile visitor...especially his advice on the LRT/MRT...i agree with him there....